Lemonpeel angel stopped eating

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ratfish

I have had my lemonpeel angel for about 8 months. Has been quiet lively the whole time I had him. But has recently been hiding behind rocks more and has had trouble eating. Today I fed frozen mysis, he looked excited chased the shrimp around, but seemed to have trouble seeing it, or tracking it and didn't eat any. I do not see any spots. only thing I can see on him is his spinal area looks a little red, but lemonpeels have a lot of red marking around gills so may be natural.

The system is about 45gal total, 39gal display. two other tank mates, a tiny six line wrasse and a happy yellow-headed jaw fish, only corals are a kenya tree, finger leather, and xenia (which the angel leaves alone), three snail and three hermits. They all tolerate each other just fine.
pH 8.2, KH 7, Ca 420, Mg 1430, no detectible phosphates or nitrates, or ammonia.

My best guess is infection, if so what are my options? If there are any other guesses, do tell. there is limited info on lemonpeels that I have been able to find since more people don't have them because they are usually not reef safe.

You didnt note if there was any nitrites. have you tested for that? can you tell if his eyes are cloudy?
It could very well be a bacterial infection. Can you get it out and into a QT/hospital tank. If not or even until you can get him out, I would do a good water change. and another in a couple days. try to reduce any bacteria that might be in the system. Best bet though is to try to get him into a seperate tank to treat.

I may try to put him in my 10gal hospital. doesn't have a light but he may not need it and may stress him. gonna be hard to pull this off with the weekend over.

thanks for the insight IPisces.

I hope yoy can get it out and see if there is any visual signs that might tell you what is going on. Or at least get it eating.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

the first key is to identify problem correctly, THEN treat appropriately

IF you can get to qt tank might want to use maracyn II..redness does indicate second infection.but again, pics would needed to confirm before treatment is started..

the first key is to identify problem correctly, THEN treat appropriately

IF you can get to qt tank might want to use maracyn II..redness does indicate second infection.but again, pics would needed to confirm before treatment is started..

Have you seen Maracyn II lately? I cant find it.

Yes. I believe BRA had it and DPW had it albeit freshwater version which can be used in saltwater

I got him in last night in my 10gal QT tank. I got some melafex and kanaplex at the LFS yesterday based on the symptoms I told them.

When I got him in there were still no visible signs of anything. Just lethargic and breathing hard. It got worse a few minutes afterward. I used tank water in the QT as to not stress him out, but still was beat afterwards and fell on his side.

He is still alive this morning. Some how. even after my wall circuit tripped from the tiny heater! The wiring in my house sucks. I have a big rewire planned for next week so I'll never have to deal with this again. SO the little guy went without heat for hours, grrr. Cards are stacked against me. It was hard enough going to work last night and not being able to help the fish until 12am last night, the joy of 2nd shift.

Anyway, no nitrites, tested that as well. Best guys is bacteria levels in tank may have accumulated. The other fish are fine, so I am not sure what stressed his immune system. Probably will be dead by tonight. And I just lost the Kole tang (that one went suddenly with no clue what got him) from my other tank last week that has the byropsis problem (tech m is working).

It has not been a good week for me with my aquariums. I wish I had done something sooner to help my lemonpeel angel, he's my favorite fish.

Make sure you have good surface agitation so the water is oxygenated. Hopefully he will start eating. Not sure what you are feeding him, but try feeding him real good with meaty foods like raw shrimp, scallops, oysters, and mysis, soaked in vitamins and garlic. try to build up his strength and immune system.
Were you able to find the Maracyn II? I, myself, prefer treating with it.

well, he died.

I was trying to set up the aerator, power head was too strong and blowing him around. Once I had it set up I noticed he was already gone.

I knew it was bad ever since he flopped on his side and wasn't moving. I took him out, held him and inspected him good. Still no visible signs of anything.

So the time line goes: he last ate on Friday, noticed he was hiding maybe around sunday and not eating. Got him in the QT by tuesday night, but a little too slow I guess. died wednesday. Now I'm left wondering what would have happened if I reacted sooner? would he have still died? who knows. move on and learn I guess. I'm just a little bummed out about this. I'll miss that little fish.

Sorry, for your loss. It is depressing when you lose a fish especially when you can see no real reason for it dying. All others are doing good and one just dies. You just do your best at keeping their environment healthy as possible and as stress free as possible. Something internal happens, you just cant tell.

Back