Leopard wrasse aggressive towards green mandrin?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

YamahaF934

Just put my Mandrin goby into the tank today and my leopard wrasse it picking on him. The last one in the tank I would think would do this.

He acts dead, drifting towards the goby with his head up then strikes down at him.

I know the goby has gotten him because he came away shaking his head and moving his mouth fast.

Is this normal behavior? Never would have guessed this. Please input!

Unfortunately, those are 2 species of fish that should probably never be housed together. They directly compete for the same food source. The Wrasse, being a much more energetic fish, will win that competition every time.

Mandarin Dragonettes, along with others in the same family, really need to be in a tank where no other fish will directly compete for the pod population. Any other competitors will usually lead to the death of the Dragonette

Leopard wrasse are very peaceful, I have a pair leopard wrasse and mandarin together, they're all getting along well. I put the mandarin after the wrasse....maybe you should take the wrasse out to another tank (QT if you have one) for about a couple weeks than put him back. That should help, but be sure you have sand in QT for the wrasse.

Hmm. Well I specifically asked the guys at Barrier Reef if they would be good together. That makes me frustrated. He is still hiding in the corner. I will give him a few more hours.

I don't think the wrasse gonna give up until your mandarin died or out of the tank. You have to think another option asap.

Try feeding the fish better food(i.e. fresh and frozen) and more often. Most aggression is eliminated with proper feeding in my experience. It makes sense that rather then starve, the leopard wrasse has chosen to go after the new comer. If the leopard wrasse is properly satiated, then he wont feel as threatened by the new fish.

Ive had a leopard wrasse and a mandarin together for the last 2.5 years with no problems. I also feed twice a day.

Peace,
Jesse

Yamaha I don't know how big of a tank you have but i tried what you have now in a 150 tank with the belief that the wrasse would sleep at night and the Mandrin being a nocturnal feeder. I never saw aggression amongst them just that the wrasse out competed the Mandrin for food so focus on getting the mandrin to eating prepaired foods at night after the leopard hits the sand. As for the aggresion can you split them apart in the tank put a partion in it ?

Back