Let me see your Ozone setups - need ideas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

class clown

Hey gang,

I've been reading a lot about ozone lately, gearing up for a possible/likely purchase. I wanted to get an idea of what you guys have out there as far as setups.

Please share pictures of your setups. So far, in my reading, I've only been able to come acorsss hypothetical flow charts like so... These are great because they explain the various steps conceptual functions, however, I'd like to see what they look like in real life.

Let me know what components you have and share a picture or two if you can of these components.

THANKS!!! :D :D :D

312045960_69dfde223c.jpg

I tried to get some pics for you and found that my poly line is so brittle after only 3 month that is propably not going to be a good choice. Last time it lasted a year, not sure why its falling apart this time around.
I found a phosban reactor up in my attic and noticed it has fittings that would work for tubing. If your not in a hurry I'll play with it this week-end.

Don

Oh wow Don- the ozone made them that brittle ehh? This weekend should be great, I can wait. Boomer gave me a bunch of reading that will probably take me the rest of the weekend to finish anyway :D :D :D

I just set up a DIY tubing "reactor" per Randy's article. I'll try to remember to take some pictures.

Previously I had it pumping directly into the skimmer. I seem to get less skimmate this way. It seems to just turn the skimmer into an ozone reactor. The tubing reactor takes up a little more space in my sump and my skimmer seems to get more stuff out. YMMV.

I just set up a DIY tubing "reactor" per Randy's article. I'll try to remember to take some pictures.

Previously I had it pumping directly into the skimmer. I seem to get less skimmate this way. It seems to just turn the skimmer into an ozone reactor. The tubing reactor takes up a little more space in my sump and my skimmer seems to get more stuff out. YMMV.

Thats the set-up that I use. The line isnt holding up this time around. I'm to cheap to buy the good stuff.:)

Don

Clown the link Slick posted, for a tubing reactor, if that is the route you want to go, has a list of ozone safe materials.

Thats the set-up that I use. The line isnt holding up this time around. I'm to cheap to buy the good stuff.:)

Don, I got 100' of HDPE tubing @ US Plastics for about $30, not including shipping. That's not too bad.

However, I'm still having problems with a little too much back pressure on the air pump, causing the cap on my air dryer to blow off. So I'm not using it at the moment. I'm going to try a smaller venturi (1/2" instead of 3/4") and see if that helps (per the other thread in the DIY forum where I was talking about this).

So in the diagram in the first picture, why the check valve before the ozonizer? I can see why you want one after.

No, I just used some tubing and a venturi/air pump combo as mentioned in the article I linked above.

Not sure I would go this route again, but at this point it's more work to change it back. Boomer is right though, it's really easiest to hook the ozonizer with an air pump to the venturi input of your skimmer. If you don't have a venturi skimmer you could consider something else like what I did.

Back