Lets Re-Design my Tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

YamahaF934

So as I was taking my overflow box out of the tank during the reseal job, I cracked it in half. So I figured maybe this is time to plug those holes and redesign the tank.

Options are:
1. Have another overflow built and re-install both overflows and run like a stock dual overflow tank.

2. Only install one of the overflow boxes and run one Herbie style overflow going through a 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" drain. (With 1" bulkhead) Would this setup create enough flow?

3. Plug both sets of hole and drill and build a Coast to Coast overflow. (I think the tank is not tempered. I looked at my computer with polarized glasses, and its a Oceanic Tank who never uses tempered glass).

Let me know your advice on type of overflows.

photo1-1_zpsbd2a0a7e.jpg

photo4-1_zps9493357a.jpg

I would keep the drilled holes you have and redesign smaller overflow boxes while utilizing dual herbie's.

Keep the same holes install 2 redesigned overflow boxes with a coast to coast running between the 2 OF boxes

wouldn't one set of overflows be easier to tune/plumb etc. the area that the tank is going into would be good for one side overflow

You could use only one overflow, but you would need to increase the drain pipe diam. to handle the flow.

The hole. You can only gravity flow so much liquid thur a particular size hole.
Is the whole for a 1'' bulkhead for drain and 3/4'' hole for return? Use both for the drain and reroute the return else where.
I am guessing that those 2 pipes ( used as drains) would handle approx. 600-800 gph. Again that is a guess.
There has to be a chart somewhere on the net that will give you the flow rate of pvc pipe (gravity fed)

Yes there is a 1 inch bulkhead and a 3/4 inch bulkhead. I would use the 1 inch with 1 1/4 piping and the 3/4 inch drain for the emergency.

The 1inch would be under full siphon and drop ~4ft. I read that a 1 inch will siphon about 1400 GPH. Give or take.

My tank is an oceanic with the same overflows. It is 2ea 1" drains and 2ea 3/4" returns. Ive thought about doing what dave has said about the coast to coast using the same holes. You would gain space and the pipes for drains and returns are easier to hide than the overflow boxes. As for the flow, its been awhile, but i think max flow for these overflows is 1200 ea. Increasing the size of the pipe wont matter if the holes arent changed too. Just like traffic on I-5, the water would flow good till it hit the bottle neck of the smaller hole. If it was me, and this is just my opinion, build a coast to coast utilizing the same holes. OR, turn one side into your drains and the other side your returns...(just dont trust the bottom not being tempered, im sure it is)

My tank is an oceanic with the same overflows. It is 2ea 1" drains and 2ea 3/4" returns. Ive thought about doing what dave has said about the coast to coast using the same holes. You would gain space and the pipes for drains and returns are easier to hide than the overflow boxes. As for the flow, its been awhile, but i think max flow for these overflows is 1200 ea. Increasing the size of the pipe wont matter if the holes arent changed too. Just like traffic on I-5, the water would flow good till it hit the bottle neck of the smaller hole. If it was me, and this is just my opinion, build a coast to coast utilizing the same holes. OR, turn one side into your drains and the other side your returns...(just dont trust the bottom not being tempered, im sure it is)

Have the link to this C2C that Dave did?

I will post it up tonite.

The pic of my CTC is in my tank build thread at the bottom of my posts. I dont think it would work for your situation, but the basic concept will.

Page #2 on my build thread

Last edited:
Fwiw, a gravity fed 1" overflow can only handle 600 gph. Or 1200 gph for the pair.

Back