Let's see how much water we go through by 2012

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
Don't know where the idea came from, but thought this could be fun as well as a bit informative. The idea is to see how much water RF uses by the new year starting from today so it will give us an idea of one months water use here at RF. What you do is you add the gals of water you changed, added, filled a new tank with etc to the number of gallons the last person posted and keep the ball rolling. So it would go something like this....

Krish post's first.
20 gal water change

Mojo posts next. He looks back at the last post to see what the current number is and see's the total water so far is 20 gals so he takes that 20 gals and adds in his 30 gal water change he did so he posts...
30 gal water change + 20 gals = 50 gals

Scooty, comes up next and sees 50 gals as the last number and so he posts...
Filled new tank with 300 gals of water + 50 gals = 350 gals

The Kirk comes along and just topped up about 10 gals so he posts
10 gal top up + 350 gals = 360 gals

And so on...

Let's see how much water we use by the end of the year. Next person to post begins it so as it stands we are at zero gals. Whatever water you used today counts so let's get this thing going. :)

Last edited:
I can guarantee I'll forget to post in this thread, more than I'll remember. It's what my kids call an "old age thing." However, my daily Top Off is very stable, equaling a total of 6 gallons/day, for a whoppin' 2190 gallons/year for Top Off. Then, between our 3 tanks, I do approximately 60 gallons of Water Changes/month, for a whoppin' 720 gallons/year for Water Changes, for a grand total of 2910 gallons per year of use. WOW...kinda scary when I break it down like that...lol. Hmmm, I'm sure there's at least another 90 gallons used per year, for bagging corals, water removed during fragging, etc. So, I could conservatively use 3000 gallons per year.

Okay, getting off of that tangent and back to the purpose of this thread, while I still remember...

Existing 2 gallons+3 gallon top off (200)+2 gallon top off(75)+1 gallon top off(40)=

8 gallons for new total.

Last edited:
Hmmm....is that just RODI water gallons or tap water gallons. I think for every 1g of RODI that is filtered we also send 3-4g's of waste water down the drain. So where does the "number" begin as we tally? Hmmm...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
10 gallon water change on QT + 18 gals =

28 gallons new total

P.S. I think this should only be for Saltwater used

Hmmm....is that just RODI water gallons or tap water gallons. I think for every 1g of RODI that is filtered we also send 3-4g's of waste water down the drain. So where does the "number" begin as we tally? Hmmm...lol

LOL!! Whatever enters the tank! :D

28 gals still new total

New system=340 gallons
water change in biocube=5 gallons

new total= 391

(I added Mojo's 10 gallons as well)

Two days and already up to almost 400 gals! 5k seems doable at an average of 200 gals a day. Really all we need is Bill to do a 25% water change on his 20k gal tank and we are there :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok ok so I didnt read it fully, lol So if I added water and then took it out and added again do I put the full total of both times??

Mojo

Ok ok so I didnt read it fully, lol So if I added water and then took it out and added again do I put the full total of both times??

Mojo

Did you add the same water back after removing it or replace it with all new H2O? That's a lot of water either way buddy.

Back