Lets take Cleanup Crews

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MINIATUS

For people with bare bottom tanks what Clean up crews are a must. So far I have 10 Margirita and 10 Astreal snails. Im not a great fan of Hermits, cause Crabs are evil ;). What else would be great for this setup.

MINIATUS :D

i am a fan of cleaner shrimp they graze on the rocks and keep your fish clean, oh also more snails lots and lots of snails

Not sure for bare bottom...That is actually a great question Miniatus! You are cut out of a whole lot of critters that require substrate and if you don't like hermits, then that makes your list even smaller. I guess for bare bottom, flow would be your best janitor. Once everything is suspended in the water column, then you wouldn't have anything down there to clean.

Min - I also use cerith, Trochus, and nerite snails.

Thanks everyone, so Turbos are a waste of money if Im reading this right.

MINIATUS

Ive become a fan of Black long spine urchins. They can sure clean up your LR and keep coraline from getting to thick.

Don

Min - I had several Turbos in my tank. They did good work, but they do knock stuff over if it isn't secured well.

I also like my LS urchin, however, he's curretnly on the watch list because he ate a snail, and he has eaten 1/2" growth off one coral, and 2 other growth tips on another coral. I wish he would spend more time on the turf algae. grrrrr

I'm with Don on the urchins though I prefer collector urchins over the long spine. Sometimes those long spines can move allot of rock :) Tuxedo urchins are also a good option.

I find snails and hermits are decent at munching on the weekly soft algae growth but urchins do allot more heavy lifting removing most types of algae including encrusting.

Don't pray for too much corraline, you just might get it ;)

Back