Lets talk lights ageain

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

burning2nd

ok, so hypothetical speaking

if i win that tank, no no no. lets start over

My tank is 72x18x36, 200 gal

i know you guys want me to get MH 400's but thats to much and theres gonna be to much heat.

would the nova fiture work the one with the 3x250 and 4x96antics

im trying to find something i like.
i dont think i wanna do a wooden hood/cover i really like the open top,

like how mine is setup, but i was probly gonna hang them from the ciling.
im lookin on ebay now and im looking at
4 X 250 Watt Metal Halide

2 X 140 Watt VHO Combo

something like that, 72"long

just wannted some thoughts, i know it would be cheaper to make a retro, but then i have to build some crazy cover to suport it all. the nice little kits have thos crazy eazy little legs to brake there so cute!, but anyway.

i would like to stay away from a chiller. this is a peace core opperation and money will always be tight (i know thats not what you guys wanna hear)

but if i had 4x250 and 2 140vho's wouldnt that be enough for most of the stuff that i would be geting (cheaper items)

I think you would be better off and cheaper, making a wooden canopy and shopping around on the forums. There are alot of good used retro kits available.
Also, 3x250 would be plenty.

Is the 36 inches the height Jon? If so, the 250's won't penetrate to the bottom well so any real light demanding corals will have to be kept up high in the tank. If the tank is 18 high, then the 250's will work great:)

naw k, its 36 deep. the guys at the lfs said something when i told him yesterday about "show tank" guess cause its tall and thin,

i mean do i have to keep the light demanding ones at the bottem? cant i just keep them more to the top

im figering that with 200 gal, im gonna get 250lbs of rock.

most likely it would have to be stacked. i would probly do a split down the middle, a pile of rocks left and right. so that theres 1 peart that you can see the hole back glass top to bottem.

i dont know was just wounder. thanks guys, ill keep ya updated on that 200

3 days 9 hours! :)

what do you think my chances are that someone will come in last min and out bid me?

that tank doesnt seem to be so desirebul. its deep big and aga, HOpe i win

Yeah, yopu can put the most light demanding corals on the top. The reason why people go with lighting that will penetrate to the bottom is so that they won't be limited as to where they can put things. Ifyou factor in a sand bed if you plan to run one as well as all the rock, you'll be fine man...Just keep those SPS's up high etc and enjoy the tank. 3 400w MH's don't come cheap, but neither does the hobby:p

Back