Lets talk skimmers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

robert0762

I just recently found out my current skimmer is a piece of junk . Kent TE. So ofcourse its time to get a new toy. But i dont know if I should go with a downdraft (ETSS) or a recurculating Type (octopus DNW 200)

Firstoff, if this is going to be a suggestion thread lets get the whole scoop : )

What size is the tank and is it a reef. Do you want to run it in sump or external, what is your budget, what is the footprint you are working with in your skimmer compartment.

72 Gal Reef very lightly stocked 4now
sump or external
3to500
12 by 18 inces

i think cost should also be looked at. the new atb's are suppose to be off the hizzle butg will set you back a grand

For a 72g the msx/octo extreme 160 or 200 will work great for you and for under 300bux. They will skim circles around the tunze 9010. If you want super cheap the octo nw200 will work just fine.

Depends on your budget. Cheapo i'd go with the msx250 or 300, either will work as they are pretty much the same skimmer. A bit more and i'd go with a octo pro300(cnc 300askoll) as they are the best mid skimmer out there, or i'd go with an atb medium with an airstar. There's also a new swc cone coming out as well. The warner marine's look nice too. Just totally depends on your budget but all will get the job done. The askoll pump's are superior to all the others though (airstar, cnc/pro pump and atb med pump)

Warning*** I wouldn't give the ETSS skimmer any consideration I had the 800 model it's super loud with the recommended Iwaki 55rtl min. pump and is power hog(major factor).I'm already using big kilowatts on my 265g w/75g sump.Bottom line I was disappointed with it overall.

No offense tigerarmy, but a msx 200 will run circles around that skimmer. And its only around 300bux new. Heck i have one i recirc'd that i'd sell him for 150bux. Pulls 30scfh as a pw or 40+ as a meshwheel. Not to be rude but ER's are pretty much done at this point.

100_1827.jpg

100_1883.jpg

Hey luke...How do you even let your skimmer get that dirty? Clean that thing out man LOL :oops:

Anyway I'm going with an Octopus 150 when I build my new 105 gallon cube. I havent decided NW or Recirc DNW but I've already decided on the brand.

I did a quick web search and found the Octopus 150 NW for $169 and the Octopus Recirc 150 DNW for $269 but the recirc requires a feed pump.

No offense tigerarmy, but a msx 200 will run circles around that skimmer. And its only around 300bux new. Heck i have one i recirc'd that i'd sell him for 150bux. Pulls 30scfh as a pw or 40+ as a meshwheel. Not to be rude but ER's are pretty much done at this point.

100_1827.jpg

100_1883.jpg
I wouldn't say there done. I own a Octo 200 extreme and as I stand by my skimmer for the great price and nice pump, the build quality just isn't there. It doesn't compare to the Euro reef line at all. Better than Asm for sure though.That skimmer that trigger is selling is more than half off and a hell of a deal. Euro Reef didn't just come out a year ago, they've been around for along time and I doubt there going anywhere. Check out the Extreme skimmer threads on RC. Very nice skimmers when working properly but most of the reviews I've seen were,"If you don't like tinkering with skimmers this isn't the one for you".:)

I did a quick web search and found the Octopus 150 NW for $169 and the Octopus Recirc 150 DNW for $269 but the recirc requires a feed pump.
I owned a octo 110 recirc and all I did to feed it was tee off my drain. Worked fine. I also tee'd it 2 more times for tlf reactor and for fuge/sump filter sock.

I hear there are new ER's coming out but the old one's are overpriced and the rs series was made right next to the extreme's and octo's in china so the build quality is the same. They come with janky genx pump's also which will rust. The msx/octo extreme's pull quite a bit more air than them as a PW. You add mesh and your talking twice the air.
Bojangles, i'd suggest checking out the next step up for your 105g tank as the nw150 is rated at 150g but I wouldn't put it on a tank over 75g even as a recirc.

I hear there are new ER's coming out but the old one's are overpriced and the rs series was made right next to the extreme's and octo's in china so the build quality is the same. They come with janky genx pump's also which will rust. The msx/octo extreme's pull quite a bit more air than them as a PW. You add mesh and your talking twice the air.
Bojangles, i'd suggest checking out the next step up for your 105g tank as the nw150 is rated at 150g but I wouldn't put it on a tank over 75g even as a recirc.

Yeah I don't quite understand that at all. I always hear people say they came from the same place so the build quality is the same, but when I hold the 2 in my hands the Euro reef feels so much stronger. Explain it for me please:D

I'd love to find a skimmer that has about the same footprint as the tunze 9010, no microbubbles and quiet. Any Ideas?? The 9010 works but doesnt seem to pull quite as much as it should.

Don

Back