Lets Talk UV Sterilizers

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Peppie

Doing research on these for my upcoming 180.
The wattage and flow rates, not to mention the prices are all over the board!!
Some say 18watts @ 400gph, to 25watts @ 700gph, to 40 watts @ over 1000gph.

I would like a decent UV rig that I dont have to mortgage mt house for. Some where between $225 and $300.

Anyone out there able to recommend a unit that they have had good results with??
Is the wiper upgrade worth the extra $.

Where do you have it in line? Right at the raw water source from the tank? Or right before the water returns to the DT ( return chamber)?

best of all from my experience is Aqua UV 40-57W will work great for you inline with manifold flow control valve for either min to max performance,,have fun

I have the coralvue 12x. It uses a 36w bulb. Has no wiper. Is cheap on the budget. Bulbs are like 60-70 bucks. I dont use those bulbs. I got mine off ebay for $24 with free shipping and it came with 2 bulbs. I did have a leak where the hose connects. I got rid of the nut piece that tightens down on the hose. Just hose clamped them on. Im using a mag3 and have it in the return section of my sump. I purposely kinked the hose a bit and estimate my flow around 150-200 gph. Hope that helps. Oh, and i also have PLENTY of pods that make it through just fine.

Aqua 40 or 57 gets my vote with the wiper upgrade......!
I have never used one...had one never hooked it up but would be a nice option to have.

I have the coralvue 12x. It uses a 36w bulb. Has no wiper. Is cheap on the budget. Bulbs are like 60-70 bucks. I dont use those bulbs. I got mine off ebay for $24 with free shipping and it came with 2 bulbs. I did have a leak where the hose connects. I got rid of the nut piece that tightens down on the hose. Just hose clamped them on. Im using a mag3 and have it in the return section of my sump. I purposely kinked the hose a bit and estimate my flow around 150-200 gph. Hope that helps. Oh, and i also have PLENTY of pods that make it through just fine.

I looked at this one. I was just worried that it is priced so much lower than most at this wattage. Do I get what I pay for??

Dave,

If you remember my setup, I have the dual Aquaultraviolet 40w (80w totals) inline right off my return pump...I love mine !!

Dave,

If you remember my setup, I have the dual Aquaultraviolet 40w (80w totals) inline right off my return pump...I love mine !!

Thanks Kirk,
I do remember yours. I wont need 2 of the 40s, but I am leaning towards this brand.

As long as the rubber gasket is in the correct position, they will never leak

they are the best and the replacement parts are easy to get. I had a cheapo one and when I was installing it the bulb fell and broke the quartz sleeve. and could not find sny replacement parts anywhere on line. but I could find aqua uv. every where.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

Can we talk the bennifits of a Uv sterilizer for us that don't know.
Maybe what they do and if their worth the money. Or the number of watts to do what is needed.
Thanks

The main use for them is to clean the water of free floating algaes (green water). Helps to keep the water clearer. The main reason i got mine is for this reason alone. I live on the water in manchester with big windows facing the water and all the sun from sunrise untill about noon comes in which causes a bit of a problem with water for me. Theres litteraly no where i can have my tank not be in the sun. The reason you would want a low water flow going through one is to use it to try and kill bacteria and viruses and parasites (ick).

Its important to clean the quartz sleeve once a year or so too so that the UV rays hitting your water isn't diffused.

Yea. I just reread my post. It was late. I shoulda put can. Really the only way it can do anything for ick, imo, is for all the overflow water to pass through the uv. But i dont think anybody has that low of a volume of overflow. As far as cleaning the quartz sleeve, its recommended to change the bulb out every 6-9 months because the effectiveness of the bulb drops so fast. So the way i see it, ill just be changing out my uv bulb when i change out my mh bulbs.

Back