light color?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the6goat6man6

Well, I am doing some research before I set up my 150gal tall(48L x 30T x 24d).
I am looking to keep LPS, and softies, ?maybe some fish?

I think I am looking at some nice LEDs, but I am still unsure what color to go with?
14K? or 20k? no $ difference!
From what I understand, I could be very wrong, 20k is brighter and more blue, and 14K gets better par?

What would be your opinion on color 14K or 20K? I preffer that blue look, but my tank is 30" deep!

If you were going with metal halides and asked which bulb to go with Jeremey, I promise you you would probably hear Pheonix 14K!! Amazing bulb! The higher the kelvin rating though, the bluer the bulb gets so a 20K bulb will be bluer than a 14K. The closer you get to 10K, the whiter it gets and the closer to 6700K you go the yellower it gets. It all depends on the bulb brand too that determines the color. I once had a 20K XM on one side of my tank and a 12K reeflux on the other side and you couldn't see a difference although the par ratings differed with the 12K putting out more par than the 20K if I remember correctly. I'll try find the pic. Here is something you might find interesting though. Take a look at this site if you haven't seen it yet. It will show you bulb comparisons on one particular tank. As you change the different bulbs, you will see the color shift. You can also see the different par ratings on the bulbs being used. 250Watt Bulb Comparison

When it comes to leds, I don't have much info. I'm thinking the general rule would still apply in terms of bulb color going on kelvin rating, but not 100% sure. Someone will have to confirm, but I think in general, a 20K bulb would have less par than a 14K. :)

Last edited:
That is what I thought, I am pretty sure some where I read lower K gets better PAR. I just want to make sure the light will reach the bottom of the tank. I am looking at the LEDs, I was trying to find out if 14K would suit a 30" deep tank or if it wouldn't matter being that I will be keeping LPS and softies?
If you were going with metal halides and asked which bulb to go with Jeremey, I promise you you would probably hear Pheonix 14K!! Amazing bulb! The higher the kelvin rating though, the bluer the bulb gets so a 20K bulb will be bluer than a 14K. The closer you get to 10K, the whiter it gets and the closer to 6700K you go the yellower it gets. It all depends on the bulb brand too that determines the color. I once had a 20K XM on one side of my tank and a 12K reeflux on the other side and you couldn't see a difference although the par ratings differed with the 12K putting out more par than the 20K if I remember correctly. I'll try find the pic. Here is something you might find interesting though. Take a look at this site if you haven't seen it yet. It will show you bulb comparisons on one particular tank. As you change the different bulbs, you will see the color shift. You can also see the different par ratings on the bulbs being used. 250Watt Bulb Comparison

When it comes to leds, I don't have much info. I'm thinking the general rule would still apply in terms of bulb color going on kelvin rating, but not 100% sure. Someone will have to confirm, but I think in general, a 20K bulb would have less par than a 14K. :)

Yeah I've researched making my own fixture, but for the Price of ordering all the supplies, and the price of the Evolution fixtures. I couldn't build them. Trust me, I would love to make my own. I went to school for electronics, and at one time I was 1st in New York State and 4th in the Nation for Electronics Product Servicing. I can't buy the parts cheap enough or I would be making them and selling them myself. There really isn't much to them. Although I am looking into making my own wave makers. I love to make things, I love DIY, but some things are not worth it when the materials and time out way the cost of one already made and works! Tthank you for the link, but I think till the price for materials comes down I will have to buy them.
It depends on which LED's you buy, some of these fixtures put out enough for even sps but these units are very expensive IMO. I think for the most part if you get a decent fixture or make a good DIY with higher quality LED's then you should be fine.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f12/diy-led-build-linear-design-59088/

Well, I have emailed Chris from Reef Koi Corals, he a sures me that even the lower unit (120w 1G) will reach the depth of 30" no problem. He aslo added a link with more info, this is what I found,
This is the 120w 1G,
■5" above water line shows 926 PAR at surface
■565 PAR 5" underwater
■263 PAR 19" underwater
■115 PAR 23" underwater at the sandbed

He told me that 1G or 2G or 3G, all would will work, just deppended how bright I want it. I have seen pics of display lit with these it looks great. A little hard to tell from a pic, but they may look better than the MH they compare them to! I think I'm sold, now just have to decide on 1G or 3G? I feel like a kid in a candy store, that is only aloud 1 PEICE!!!
Oh I found the 120w 1G for $30 less tax included, thats $299. Wow half the price of a good MH fixture! Hell, thats about what I payed for my t-5 unit that ahs 6 bulbs! Where were these when I got my T-5s?

Funny two Jeremy's both of us setting up a 150 gallon tall tank, and looking for answers of lighting, what are the odds on that????

I looked at reef koi after reading this, how many of those fixture are you planning on putting over your 150? if you cram it full you could fit 6 of 3G, with a few inches on each side of em. or 6 1G with no space side to side but some space front to back???
so if I may hijack a little, I already have 2 ice cap 250 Elec MH ballast, and 2 ice cap 660, I'm planning on using 2 14K 250watt MH and 4 T5 actinic. Now what bulbs should I use? should I use both 660 and run 2 bulbs on each so I can do separate dusk to dawn? or just 1 of the 660 and run all 4 t5 bulbs on it? Also what color bulbs for that? I heard somewhere else that I should nto use a 660 for the supplemental lighting? Why? enough questions for now, and thanks Jeremy, now Im thinking of going with the leds as well LOL. oh and I plan on a mixed tank, very little SPS, mostly LPS, and some softies, with fish.

Funny two Jeremy's both of us setting up a 150 gallon tall tank, and looking for answers of lighting, what are the odds on that????

I looked at reef koi after reading this, how many of those fixture are you planning on putting over your 150? if you cram it full you could fit 6 of 3G, with a few inches on each side of em. or 6 1G with no space side to side but some space front to back???
so if I may hijack a little, I already have 2 ice cap 250 Elec MH ballast, and 2 ice cap 660, I'm planning on using 2 14K 250watt MH and 4 T5 actinic. Now what bulbs should I use? should I use both 660 and run 2 bulbs on each so I can do separate dusk to dawn? or just 1 of the 660 and run all 4 t5 bulbs on it? Also what color bulbs for that? I heard somewhere else that I should nto use a 660 for the supplemental lighting? Why? enough questions for now, and thanks Jeremy, now Im thinking of going with the leds as well LOL. oh and I plan on a mixed tank, very little SPS, mostly LPS, and some softies, with fish.

Hello JEREMY, great name,

Sorry to say I am not setting my 150gal up now, ran into a few snags so thats on the back burner for now.

But I am setting up a 70gal to stop the urge!LOL! I am still going to use the LEDs, but a little smaller, the 100w 3G 20Ks. I will use two for now and see how it works. I CAN"T WAIT TO GET THEM!!!!!!!! Just to let you know, the 200w 3Gs are suppost to have a 36x36in spread. If you email Chris from Reefkoi he will answer any questions, he has helped me decide.

I should have mine in a week or so, I will be sure to post.

Believe it or not today, I went to a PSAS (Puget sound aquarium society) frag swap and Chris from ReefKoi was there, with the 3G lights over his Frags that he had for sale, yes long trip for him but, I was glad to see him, and he answered several questions for me on the lights, LOL I no longer think I'd need 6 fixtures over my tank, 2 will be perfect. He also said in about another 2 months he will have a 48in fixture that will be perfect for longer tanks. Sorry to hear your not setting up the 150 now, I'm hoping I'll have water in mine next Saturday, with fingers crossed.

Thats cool you got to talk to Chris, I knew he would be able to help you. I didn't think you would've needed 6, they have a nice spread.

In your opinion, how do they look?

I was going to use the 200w 3Gs for my 150 because it is 30in deep, but the 70gal I got is about half that so I have decided to use the 100w 3Gs. I figure it to be enough, being that my new tank is half the size (width x dept). I feel like a kid before X-mas, have to wait for these lights, and not to mention the SWC skimmer thats on it's way! I can't wait, TOYS!!!!

they look really good, but then they were on a frag tank that was 6 inches deep, he had 2 of the 3G 100 watts. good enough for me to buy a couple hundred worth of corals!!!!

Mine are beeing built as I sit and wait, unpatiently. I can't wait to see these in person, everyone I've talked to said they look awsome.

Back