Light combo

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The Shark

Killer Blenny
I have a 60 gallon cube with one Reeflux 10k 250 w bulb, along with 4 18" super actinic VHO's.

I am considering switching to a 12k bulb, with two normal actinics and two super actinics, as I don't like how white it is at the present time.

Do actinics have any effect on SPS, rather than aesthetics?

Thanks!

Dan

have several light spectrums is good for the corals because u have to rember that the corals u keep in ur tank might not be in 2 foot of water they could be 25meters down where everything looks like its lit by blue antinics

Hello,
The metal halide provides for most of the light energy for the corals and most 10,000K+ bulbs have a large spike in the 420 - 450nm range so supplemental lighting is not required. They are mostly for aesthetics and sunrise/sunset effect.

HTH,
Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks, so it doesn't really matter what combo of VHO's I use? Would I be better suited to throw a couple of 10K vho's in with two actinics?

Hello,
The metal halide provides for most of the light energy for the corals and most 10,000K+ bulbs have a large spike in the 420 - 450nm range so supplemental lighting is not required. They are mostly for aesthetics and sunrise/sunset effect.

HTH,
Kevin

Kevin, what are your thoughts on the Reeflux 12K? I got one & find it seems to not produce nearly as much light as the 10K's?
I know this is only by Eye & not a meter, wonder what test results are between the two.

Kevin, what are your thoughts on the Reeflux 12K? I got one & find it seems to not produce nearly as much light as the 10K's?

What is the wattage? If I have the bulbs I will test it tomorrow. You could also look up the PAR value On Sanjay's site.

Cheers,
Kevin

so it doesn't really matter what combo of VHO's I use? Would I be better suited to throw a couple of 10K vho's in with two actinics?
Only from an aesthetic point of view. The 10,000K's produce a little bit more PAR but again it's a matter of the color rendering you like best.

Regards,
Kevin

What is the wattage? If I have the bulbs I will test it tomorrow. You could also look up the PAR value On Sanjay's site.

Cheers,
Kevin

I couldn't find the PAR values Kevin, maybe I'm missing something.

I'm running 250 Watts HQI as someone suggested for my 34G tank! :D
Love them, also have 4 H.O. T5's barely fits over the tank LOL.

Back