light question?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

slo1

My tank has been up for about 8 months and I am slowly working through the new guy issues.

My tank is 48long, 13wide, 19deep. I have been using a dual Satellite light fixture with 260w total. The fans are loud, I have gone through a couple ballasts within a year. Ready for a change.

I would like to have a bubble tip and/or some hard corals. I guess more watts are in order. Due to the tank being pretty narrow, fixtures are limited. Does anyone have opinions on Hamilton Tech. They have a 2x 175 mh, with 2 cfs and leds. Its 8 inches wide. Sound good? Will I roast my fish? Thanks.

Being in Yakima, where it normally gets pretty hot during the summer, you might have overheating problems with MH lighting. You could reduce this problem with the use of a chiller or an AC unit. Have you considered T5HO lighting? A 4 bulb Tek 5 fixture would work great over your tank. It would also allow you to keep just about anything, even down to 19".

Hamilton Tech is a well known name in reef lighting, especially for their ballasts. However, I would advise against getting 175 watts. IMO, You'd be much better off with 250 watts. You'll have much more selection of bulbs, it'll be easier to find replacement parts if needed and I believe 175 watts are kinda becoming obsolete.

I recently bought a Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixture for my tank. My tank is 48"Lx12"W. It doesn’t seem to run hot either. I have been very happy with it. I believe it works well for all corals and BTA's

My tank is in a built in cabinet. There is 15 inches of clearence an a fan venting out the top.

Would that favor one fixture or another? I like the idea of the Nova extreme pro, but they discurage cab applications. Do the Teks need fans? The 4 bulb Tek has the same wattage as my current dual satellite, would it put out more light? The 6 bulb would be pretty snug. Thanks for your wisdom.

I recently bought a Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixture for my tank. My tank is 48"Lx12"W. It doesn’t seem to run hot either. I have been very happy with it. I believe it works well for all corals and BTA's

I agree... the nova fixtures are nice... the reflectors ive hurd crying about, but it got the job done... at least for me. t5's are strong

but Mh's are stronger... 2x150w

"My tank is in a built in cabinet. There is 15 inches of clearence an a fan venting out the top."

So is that like a canopy ? If so when a canopy is closed it can produce more heat than when left open or than a hanging pendant with a fan blowing the top of the tank.

What do people in your local reef club use and why and what do they think.

I would ask them there opinions as they have them and use them and can tell you the pro's and con's more in detail.

Paul

Im a fan of open top little as possible i like the reflection of the water on the walls and stuff.

Back