Lighting Advice?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TWallace

I'm considering swithing from T5 to MH lighting for my 55g tank. I'm probably going with 2 ARO 250w ballasts and some 20k bulbs (so I won't have to add actinic supplementation). But I'm undecided on the reflectors. I like the Lumen Arc Mini reflectors, but I'm not sure if they're any better than the Reef Optix. I also like the reflector hanging system on the same page as the Lumen Arc link. Can I use the same on the Reef Optix?

I've never had MH lighting before. I'm confused as to why there is no standard plug for the lights. Seems like each ballast manufacturer uses a different plug style for the bulb.

I don't have or want a canopy, so I am looking for hanging pendants. I will likely upgrade my tank size sometime in the next few years, and would like to be able to use these lights on that larger tank (probably in the 120-180g range).

Why would you go with 20K bulbs, they produce the lowest PAR values of almost any MH lighting, this would make great supplemental lighting for coloration but not the best for corals growth & health. You should be able to hang those pendants, you may need to have a little DIY but it is good to be able to adjust the height of your lighting.

My tank is only 55g, which I believe is only 12.5" front to back. With those pendants, there's no room for a T5 tube in front or behind the MH pendants. That's why I wanted 20k MH bulbs, so that I wouldn't need actinic supplementation. I thought a lot of people use a setup like that. Is this not true?

Well on a shallow tank you may be ok but eh PAR is very low on 20k lamps, if you keep high demanding sps & would go for the 12k reeflux as least, these will be very blue & preform better.

12k's are very blue to my eyes as the 20k's are. I think if you are keeping any sps, then check into the 10k reeflux. I am using them on the Coralvue eballast and not using any actinic supplementation.

Tom, did you see the Elos tank at Barrier Reef (behind the check-out counter)? That tank uses the 12K Reeflux and I love that color.

Anyone know how the PAR compares between the Reeflux 10 and 12K 250's?

Yep, I've seen it, looks nice. I think I will probably get either a 10k or 12k Reeflux at this point now. I'm just worried that if I get the big reflectors (Lumen Arc Minis are 14.5" x 14.5"), there won't be room for any actinic supplementation, so I have to be happy with the color of the MH bulbs alone. Should I get a smaller reflector instead? My tank is only 12.5" front to back, so the Lumen Arc Minis will be a little too big as is, but like I said I want to be able to use this light system on a larger tank when I upgrade sometime down the road.

Yeah, in your position I would get smaller reflectors than the Luminar minis...they're pretty big. Go for some kind of pendant, and use the 12K. My
.02. :)

Tom the only thing about the 10k's is & with any MH lamp producing good numbers is the fact you will get more whiter coloration, even though the reeflux 10k's are the bluest of any 10k's. 10K is the number it seems that makes a good source of needed light for corals but you loose that pretty blue as in your 20k's. It doesn't take much to add a good blue coloration though, but being limited in your hood that will limit your options & regardless you must be happy with what you get, so consider placement of any high light demanding corals up top higher If you do go with anything other than the 10k's & you should still see good results, may not perfect but....

Thanks all, I think I'm going to go with smaller reflectors and 10k bulbs. That way I'll have room to add a T5 on either side of the MH bulbs if I want more blue color. Where's a good place to get Reeflux bulbs? Also, any recommendations on DE vs SE? I know that DE requires an external UV shield.

Scooter,

I am upgrading my lighting to the 10K 250 watt Reeflux. I already have luminarc minis for the 175's I have now. Will I need to buy new mogul sockets in addition to new bulbs and ballasts?

thanks...can't get the reefexotics folks on the phone...

So DE are no brighter than SE? Any reason for your preference Scooter? Easier to change bulbs?

So DE are no brighter than SE? Any reason for your preference Scooter? Easier to change bulbs?
Didn't say that, I think some De's are brighter. With an open reflector design you can IMO cool them easier & not having to deal with the UV shield. Saying that, I'm now slowly looking into the De's as much as Se's & pendant styles because they are making them with bigger reflectors now, housed in a container that has cooling enhancements over the ones in the past, so it can be a toss up, I wouldn't argue either type. Right now I'm using a fixture with the ballast in it & it is DE but these are costly, I'll soon replace them out but still not sure because things like this changes daily. If you supplement your 10k's with two T5's actinic I'm sure that would look good.

Scooter,

I am upgrading my lighting to the 10K 250 watt Reeflux. I already have luminarc minis for the 175's I have now. Will I need to buy new mogul sockets in addition to new bulbs and ballasts?

thanks...can't get the reefexotics folks on the phone...
I think the mogul sockets are the same either way, I'd still double check that just to be sure.

Back