Lighting alternatives...........

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Toolio

Howdy all. So. Has anyone tried using those tubular skylights that plumb in through the roof and are extended to position the sun above a reef tank? Not sure how much spectrum/light/temperature would be lost/gained. Any feed back would be cool. Thinking of trying this in my garage ( as the wife won't let me tear off the roof and build a greenhouse roof). I tried the old, "you know, the garage needs a new roof anyways and the benefits of a greenhouse style roof might be cool. And think of the envy from the nighbors" chestnut. :lol: Here's a link.
http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...lar+Skylight+With+Metal+Flashi&cm_pla=1319015

Toolio thier called Sono tubes. Thier was a big debate about the use of them on RC awhile back, I am not really sure about the outcome, but thier were several reefers that were using them. If you went thier and were able to get past thier search engine you might find some good info, it was about a year ago.

You might also want to check the sun intencity and spectrum for your area of the country prior to giving it a shot.

Mike

Hey I saw some photos of a tank that had a solar tube on one side and a 175 M.H. on the other. The side with the tube out grew the heck out of the MH side. Corals were growing up to and out of the water. Looked cool except where they touched the surface looked awful.

Back