lighting ballast ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

i heard a loud snap this morning, and notice i have no blue atinics, they are 24w t5 all i can find in the light is this little board with the wires from the t5s going to it, iam assumeing that is the ballast, where can i get a replacement....

I'm assuming you have a fixture rather than retrofitted t-5s. If you know the maker of the fixture you can usually call the manufacturer and get a replacement from them or you can talk to the place you bought the fixture and they can facilitate that for you. I'm thinking though that the large snap you heard was an arcing from a corroded wire and/or endcap/lamp. In this case check the endcaps for any black spots and if you have an old bulb you can test the balast/wiring, it may jsut fire up fine. Sometimes the lamp ends can get splashed and corrode which will arc across the end of the lamp and kill it usually causing a large snap ime.

I'd check for corroded wiring. I just had some major light issues, and the inside of a wire connector was totally corroded. Replaced the connection and its good as new.

Might want to check that before you go to too much trouble messing with the ballast. Salt can do a number on electrical connections...

t8 ballast are also the same.. even tho on the side they dont say "T5"

Ive bining runing t5s with Silvana's t8 ballast's for years (home depot/lowes)

Im unsure about "ho" but if u remove the burnt ballast
wait ley me just tell u my store, two nova t5 dixtures one a small 15" fixture 2x24 watt found a replacment at home depot and then the same for my 36" fixture also a nova by current i just slaped a ballast rated with the same wattage, im not 100% but i beleave t5 and t8 are the same but for the connection pins ( socket)

Im unsure about "ho" but if u remove the burnt ballast
wait ley me just tell u my store, two nova t5 dixtures one a small 15" fixture 2x24 watt found a replacment at home depot and then the same for my 36" fixture also a nova by current i just slaped a ballast rated with the same wattage, im not 100% but i beleave t5 and t8 are the same but for the connection pins ( socket)
these ballast, on each side that looks like circit boards, i would just hooked up to the old fixtures, ho is high output

Back