lighting detail for soon to be my 300gl.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bouke

Sea Squirt
I need someone to explain in great detail
  • how to choose set up maintain and cool the lighting for a reef
  • It would be helpfull if they explained what lighting is good for what corals
  • where to put the certain corals with that lighting etc...
  • It would also help me a lot if someone could explain the lighting spectrum more
  • and more about how to simulate the suns rays in aquarium lighting like explaining (k) in more detail
PS. it is a 300gl 96"x26"x31"

Any help is very apreciated

Just get three luminarc reflectors with 20k 400 watt bulbs and you will be good. Keep them 10 inches to 12 off of the water and the heat wont be too bad as long as other things dont effect it that much.

That is the answer without telling you why. dont have time right now but there are many resources on this site to find out. search threads.

Just get three luminarc reflectors with 20k 400 watt bulbs and you will be good. Keep them 10 inches to 12 off of the water and the heat wont be too bad as long as other things dont effect it that much.

That is the answer without telling you why. dont have time right now but there are many resources on this site to find out. search threads.

Quick to the point,
to the point no fakin'
Cookin' MC's
Like a pound of bacon! :p

Sounds good to me!

LOL
You guys are just wrong.
The answers to your questions are just a reef frontiers search away.
The only one that is harder to answer is the coral placement question. That is something that comes with experince, with the corals themselves, and with your tank.

Aside from searching this board, I think some reading is also in order here. There are many good books out there that cover exactly the topics you need answered. Borneman's "Aquarium corals" is a great piece. The Reef aquarium, vol. 1,2,3 by Sprung and Delbeek is also very good.
First off, you need to figure out exactly what types of corals you want to have. Is this your first reef tank?

Back