Lighting for 120 gal

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cliffscorals

I am setting up a 120gal reef aquarium that will house LPS corals and a few fish (clowns, tangs, etc). I have several other aquariums (fresh water planted tanks and african cichlid tanks) that use power compacts - so I am familiar with making my own hoods and buying the PCompact kits (reflector, ballast, wiring, etc).

My initial thought for the 120 (4 ft by 2 ft) would be that I would need 6 x 96 watt PCompacts. Using the reflectors that I have used in the past, that would mean that it would be 21 inches wide (each reflector is 7 in and holds 2 bulbs). Adding the frame for the wood (1/2 in hobby wood) would add 1 more inch for a total of 22 inches. This leaves me only 2 inches in the back for overflow, sea swirls. The other problem is that a hood this big would be very heavy and cumbersome to get on and off the top of the tank.

The cost for all of the Pcompact supplies plus wood would be about $350 assuming I use some of the ballasts and bulbs that I have lying about. I would really like something sleek and more elegant then a heavy wooden hood that looks (well) homemade. But I don't want to pay thru the nose for it.

The other problem with Pcompacts is that the 96 watts are 36 inches long which would leave gaps in my coverage over a 4 ft tank.

I am a little bit leary of a hanging pendant Mhalide, because I don't want to light up my whole basement, but if it were close enough to the water maybe this wouldn't be a problem.

Right now my LPS are doing well in a 50 gal (3 ft tank by 1.5 ft) with 3 96 watt Pcompacts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Cliff

Have you thought about a lighting fixture like Chuck used: My New Lighting System? It might be a good alternative to a hanging pendant, and you would avoid having a canopy that is cumbersome to remove.

You can go to home depot and get reflective aluminum and place on the inside of the canopy and it will be what ever size you need. that saves you room. Or if you do a canopy build it at least 10inches high, then there is room for the overflow. But if it was mine i would just go with a 2 175 retro kit. that way if you ever change and go sps then you have enough light and all your Lps and other things will have that extra light. (THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH LIGHT)

Peterock said:
You can go to home depot and get reflective aluminum and place on the inside of the canopy and it will be what ever size you need. that saves you room. Or if you do a canopy build it at least 10inches high, then there is room for the overflow. But if it was mine i would just go with a 2 175 retro kit. that way if you ever change and go sps then you have enough light and all your Lps and other things will have that extra light. (THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH LIGHT)

Would you recommend a 2 x 175 watt or 2 X 250 watt for a 120 gal and lps corals?

A dual Reefsun Metal Halide Pendant goes for $480 (39 in length).

I'd go with 2-250Ws. I have the same tank (4x2x2), with 2-250W MHs and keep SPS, and the lighting is fine. I don't know that I'd do 400W on an LPS tank. You might find you need to raise the lights if corals placed higher up don't do well. Or....you could always stick some SPS up top :D.

NaH2O said:
I'd go with 2-250Ws. I have the same tank (4x2x2), with 2-250W MHs and keep SPS, and the lighting is fine. I don't know that I'd do 400W on an LPS tank. You might find you need to raise the lights if corals placed higher up don't do well. Or....you could always stick some SPS up top :D.

Thanks for the help. I will go with the 2-250w MH pendants.

Send some pics when you get done. I am doing the same set-up as you and always looking for ideas.

Back