Lighting for 40 gallon breeder

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dawgwe1

I am sure this has been asked before but I could not locate an old thread...

I am upgrading my 29g to a 40 gallon breeder tank that I picked up today. Trying to decide on lighting I should/need to get. Current stock in the 29g are some zoas, mushrooms, and LPS. I know I want to put a clam or two (my wife says I really want to have them :dance: ) in the 40 and possibly a couple sps.

I have been looking at different t5 fixtures with four and six bulbs with individual reflectors. Or should I be looking at metal halide?

Any input is appreciated....

Wayne

My 40 breeder is lit with one 150 watt DE MH bulb and 4 39watt t5's, so about 300 watts over the whole system. It allows me to keep just about anything and I recently added a small derasa clam which is doing great under the current lighting setup. Although if I were you, I would consider going all LED or a 150watt MH with supplemental LED strips. I have been considering purchasing these to replace my T5's. with the LED's in the link below it would not be too much more expensive to go LED vs. T5 and you dont have to worry about replacing bulbs.
AquaticLife Expandable LED Fixture

Hope that helps the decision!

-Devin

IMO, T5 is sufficient. I have a currentusa fixture with 2 whites and 2 actinics (4x39w bulbs) and I am able to successfully keep most LPS, a crocea clam and a birdsnest that has double in size in a year.

If I were lighting it, I'd pick up a 150 or 250W MH. Really comes down to preference though I think...

Can probably get one used from the classifieds pretty cheap. You have to replace the bulbs every 6 or 8 months though

I think I had that same t5 fixture over my old 29g. that current fixture over a 40g would be about 3.75 wpg, so not bad, but I would do what jrgilles is suggesting and pick up a used halide fixture and pendant.

But like he said its all based off your personal preference and what you want to keep in the tank

Wayne,

As you are seeing, there is no correct answer to this question. It comes down to a "depends" on what you want to do with the tank answer.
:D

No doubt!! One reason I love this hobby - there is no one way to do anything. However, I now know what others have used with success and can make an informed decision based on the given suggestions. I did not want to purchase something and then find out it was a totally wrong decision. Thanks everyone for your input and help. Next step is to get a stand built so I can start the swap. Once I do - I will put up a build post.....

Wayne

sorry to hi-jack......but i have a 250 mh with 4 pc over my 40b....which is just a frag tank sps & zoa........in process of building tier racks for it.......what would the advanced reefers guess on the HEIGHT of my tallest rack....i was thinkin around 10" so colony could get to about 8" tell out of water.......
1st rack is 3.5" tall
2nd rack is 6" tall
3rd.....?....
racks are 1/2 acrylic..21" long by 5.5" wide about 60 holes per shelf

light is about 8" above water ...dont have a par meter but i can grom millis to my floor lol.......i know it is more of a test and error .....but just wanted a little input.....maybe 8"?

I light my 40 with one 250w de and 2 t5s
Have had good success with this.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Back