lighting for 72' tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jabis96

would this lght light be suitable for my 135 (72x18x21).....its a aquacintics

72' constalation t-5 light its 14 39w lights.
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28_111_112&products_id=1184

Or should i get a combo with MH/T-5 lighting like this
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...duct_Code=CU-USA01074&Category_Code=Current-H

I will have SPS LPS and zoos in my reef tank along with an assortment of fish. The aquacintics light does not have moon lights but the outer orbit light does. I would like to buy a light one time and be done with it and not have to worry about not having enough light for certain corals. Thanks for all your imput in advance.

welcome. This is just my 2cents. Theres nothing like a metal halide that gives you that shimmering effect. So I vote for the MH-T5 combo.

Youll get better colors out of your zoas and lps under T5's. Mh are awesome for SPS, but they dont get you as much with LPS and zoas. Id do the constalation. You can buy moonlights for about 15 bucks, no reason to get a fixture that doesnt fit your needs just for that imho.

Last edited:
They also make a 72'' MH-T5 combo. I didn't look at your link, did'nt know the combo you were looking at was 48'' yeah so you need something that is the legnth of your tank for better coverage. I still vote MH-T5 combo.

it was my mistake roscoe.. picture was a 48inch, so i asusmed he was looking at a 48inch. it is actually a 72inch

I wouldnt use the bulbs that came with the outer orbit unit in a million years, so that makes it way more expensive.

light

the link for the mh/t-5 is 72 they only show a 48'. What is wrong with bulbs in the outer orbit light? i have seen the outer orbit on another site used for 550 but it had pc's not t-5's. would that be ok?

I say 3 Lumenarc3 w/reeflux 12k and call it good and that would still be cheaper than the 72'' outer orbit

totally, and the advances made on the bulbs i feel actinics arent even needed

If your going for a more "actinic" blueish light, then get the T5's. They will put out simlar par, for less energy usage, give you better coverage, allow for complete color customization, and put less heat in your tank. The only reason to go with MH is for higher par, which if your using bluer bulbs, theres really not much gain.

Yeah t5 are nice but IMHO you just don't get that shimmering affect like halides theres nothing like it.:)

Shimmering is over rated. Id put coral color ahead of shimmering. So many people seem to think MH is always the answer whe really its not always the case. Mh gets you high par value while T5 gives you the ability to enhance more colors. High par values arent going to do much for most LPS growthwise(target feeding is usually more effective for growth then high par), while the ability to enchance more spectral peaks with the T5's will certainly result in a more colorful display.

I guess so dude! I never said halides is always the answer We all have our opinions. Not saying your wrong or anything guy. I suggest Jabbis to go take a look at other hobbyist tanks with the 2 diff. lighting he or she is thinking about and take it from there. I've always seen many times over after people get the t5 they ended up with halides at the end.

Im not speaking to you in particular roscoe, I just see that every time someone asks about lighting in this forum people automatically suggest MH no matter what they are trying to keep. Its just silly to me. Softies and lps don't like super intense light. In fact, it stresses them out. Shallow water SPS on the other hand are a completly differnt story and they love the MH.

I understand what you are saying. Jabis says he only wants to buy the lighting one time and then be good after that. That is the only reason why I suggested HM/t5 combo best of both worlds. I've been there, thinking I have enough of something then down the road needing more thus spending more money on what i should have bought in the 1st place. That is just my 2cents. No pun intended.

jezz you do bring up some good points. you get more complete coverage with a t5 and such. i only suggest halides because they have been around for so long. we know what to expect from them ,when to change bulbs and they are readily available on the for sale forum. i am just sort of old fashioned, i also love cars from the 60's

You can get a complete coverage with mh if your designing it properly T5/MH goes onward for many discussions. Either system will work find, depends on coral placement, amount of lights etc to get good colors & growth. Also you can get great color with either mh or t5 depending on your lamps & not need supplementation unless you just want a complete blue tank, you can grow & color up lps & softies under mh very nicely if you use placement, rock ledges to get them out of the punch. Some sps BTW don't require high light as others so reading & learning about corals & what they need can help you greatly.

Back