Lighting for refugiums

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Quincy

What is the general feeling on lighting for refugiums? 24 hours or inverse of main display tank?

I have systems that use both theories and they all seem to have the same results. My system is producing nitrates 24/7, so why not overdrive my macro algae to consume it 24/7.

Depending on the setup, I have used a cheap plastic fixture from one of the big box stops and a CF grow light. The algae does not need any high tech lighting. Anything in the day light temp range is good.

I agree with ROWA.. I use a 10 gallon plastic light fixture with 2 daylight temp "Curly Cue" 13 watt flouresant bulb. My cheato grows like crazy! (bulbs at Home Depot are only 4 bucks!):D My lights are left on 24/7 (unless the power goes out!)

Depending on the setup, I have used a cheap plastic fixture from one of the big box stops and a CF grow light. The algae does not need any high tech lighting. Anything in the day light temp range is good.

I literally just switched a $15.00 aluminum clip on lamp with a 60 watt flood bulb. The fuge is 15 gallons... is this sufficent? Would a 100 watt be better? Can someone post a pic of their setup? Thanks!

I have systems that use both theories and they all seem to have the same results. My system is producing nitrates 24/7, so why not overdrive my macro algae to consume it 24/7.

I agree as long as the macro is cheato and not caulerpa(sp) as caulerpa can go sexual and release harmful toxins back into the tank.

I agree with ROWA.. I use a 10 gallon plastic light fixture with 2 daylight temp "Curly Cue" 13 watt flouresant bulb. My cheato grows like crazy! (bulbs at Home Depot are only 4 bucks!):D My lights are left on 24/7 (unless the power goes out!)

I use the same thing thanks to jaybo, and my cheato is growind something crazy as well.

fuge.JPG

Last edited:
I agree as long as the macro is cheato and not caulerpa(sp) as caulerpa can go sexual and release harmful toxins back into the tank.

my understanding of calupera is to keep the light on 24/7 to help prevent it from going sexual.

I run 2 -12" 18 watt pcf on my 30 g fuge. I got rid of the calupera(sort of) and keep cheato

Thanks Billaweed... my light is the exact same one, but the bulb is not as bright.

also have the cheapo flood fixture over both of my fuges. I use a 6500K 19w florescent HD bulb an my cheato grows well. I run it reverse of my dispaly tank. Beleive it or not my mushrooms, xenia and zoas grow like weeds under these fixtures as well.

I have the sump light off from around 10am to 7pm. Mostly to have less heat input during the warmest part of the day.

Back