Lighting for SPS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Daniel Murray

Diver Madness
What would be the best lighting for my Reef Tank witch is heayly loaded?
I have 3 175 watt Blueline Super white lamps and Blueline E Ballast and 2 72" URI VHO Super Actinic R.
I would like new M/H.

I would most probably use 3 250w MH's but that 2" off the water is very close, is that the distance for the lamp off the water?

Hello,
Lighting is really a matter of personal preference and what corals you plan to keep. I will assume you are going to keep SPS shallow water corals. I would recommend 3 400W halides mounted 9" from the water. I prefer 10,000K Reeflux mogul mount bulbs mounted in PFO reflectors and driven by PFO HQI ballsts. I would also add a couple of VHO 72" actinics. This is just my personal preference.

Regards,
Kevin

Hello,
Lighting is really a matter of personal preference and what corals you plan to keep. I will assume you are going to keep SPS shallow water corals. I would recommend 3 400W halides mounted 9" from the water. I prefer 10,000K Reeflux mogul mount bulbs mounted in PFO reflectors and driven by PFO HQI ballsts. I would also add a couple of VHO 72" actinics. This is just my personal preference.

Regards,
Kevin

OK I do have Blueline 175 watt 10,000k super white lamps now and would like something with just a touch more blue but not a lot. I have some SPS, lots of
Mushroom , 4 Soft Coral , lots of Softies , lots of LPS and 5 clams.
I do have two VHO 72" actinics and I have three Blueline E ballast 175 watt each so I would like to stay with my 175 watt set up for now.

Here is some Photos of my Tank

Attachments

• IMAG0213.jpg
    IMAG0213.jpg
    71.3 KB
I'm with Kevin, I love the reeflux bulbs. I just use them in the 250w version. Thats a 10k. My sps which are mostly acropora and some montipora have never looked so great. Growth is fine and coloring is phenomenal.

4.5" is a little close. I wouldn't think it would be safe. I prefer 8-10 inches for proper spread. also I think 250's would be a great idea. 400's might improve some colors but 250's would be good overall.

does your canopy limit the height you can put your lights? Is there any way you can get them higher or are you stuck with where they are?

does your canopy limit the height you can put your lights? Is there any way you can get them higher or are you stuck with where they are?

They are stuck where they are. If I put them up then the light will kill you on the sofa when watching TV. Pulse the light was made to sit on the tank by champion lighting.

I would say if you have the means then crank out some carpentry skills and build a nice canopy for that tank.:)
Of course if you are like me you would have to buy all the tools first so that would be an expensive endeavor.
Raising the bulbs off the water is the only way I could see using higher wattage lights. Without more room between the bulbs and the water heat will be a huge problem, as will water accidentally hitting those bulbs. You will also get better light spread in your tank.

Tim

Back