Lighting issue-please help asap

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Shalori

Hi everyone,
I have a problem with my light. It's a current outer orbit. It has the 2-96 watts and a 150 mh. It started with one of the 96 watts not working. I thought it was a bad bulb and bought a new one, but when I put it in, it was so dim you could barely tell it was on. So we switched the bulb into the front 96, and the bulb worked fine. So we thought it must be a ballast. So I replaced the ballast. It fired up fine that night, but since then only fires up every once in awhile. Then today the other 96 watt started having issues. When the light went on, it flickered a bit, but didn't come all the way on. It did come on, but not at full intensity. Then, as I stand there growing increasingly upset as I'm wondering what to do, the halide refused to fire as well. And again,it did eventually, but not for a bit. I have no idea what could be going wrong with it, but I'm concerned about my corals' health. I don't know what to do...
Thanks

PM me where at in federal way you are.
I am also in fed way I might be able to swing by and take a look at it tomorrow. your corals will be ok a day or so with out light.

Are the boots that the lights plug into corroded? I bought a used fixture, and I ended up replacing the boots for the lights. The MH sockets were very corroded.

I also had to replace the 2 cord ends where the ballast cord plugs into the fixture cord, it was very burnt out and wasn't making good connection.

I'd check out all the wire junctions and make sure they look good. I got new ends for the cord at RE-PC for 50 cents a cord (chopped up some computer cords.) and that fixed my power compacts, then replaced all the boots for the halides, and everything is good now.

Back