Lighting issues

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

37tall

i am wondering about a lighting issue. well im running a current 14, k... but i was wondering if it would be benificial to buy a 100 watt 50-50 coral life. since most of my books say that running a halide for more than 4 hours is way over kill since the sun is only at its peak for the same amount of time. so would me buyin this light be insanity or wat...

1st, more info would help, so I'm in generall answering. the majority run between 7 to 11 hrs. I run my MH for 9. Unless you want to spend money, you don't need to. I do have vho acinic that come on first to soften the impact of the MH, then they turn off about an hour after. I don't have them on all dayjust in the start and end :)

I have only been running 2 96W PC 50/50 bulbs for the last oh about 6 months with a simple halogen light at night on my skimmer/refugium ( where I keep my chaeto) and have been having great success. I found that alot of surface movement helps with the low light. I wish I could have a MH light I think but now I am leaning towards T-5's. have you looked into those?

P.S. one of my bulbs did blow up....... so I have one new one :confused: :eek: :oops: :cool:

What our tanks experience in terms of light, is nothing compared to real life when the sun is not even at it's peak IMO, so I think running your lights for more than 4 hours is not overkill especially if you have high light demanding corals. Just a thought:)

Back