lighting plan for a 36" x 20" tank (22" depth)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BobinCovington

Anyone have ideas on lighting a 36"x20"x22"tall elos style open tank? I would like to hang a luminarc 3 mini with a 250W reeflux 12K and two T5 actinics housed in a lightweight maple (shaker style to match the stand) canopy. So the canopy is suspended over the tank, but not have so much light glaring out (if I am sitting on the couch nearby). Another thought is to use metal rods bent in an arc from the stand to "suspend" the canopy over the tank. I am hoping some of you have solved some of these issues already...?

Any thoughts on bulb, reflector choice? Which luminarc would be the best size and still allow for T5s? Any pictures or ideas on the design?

Last edited:
just a bump for some help....elos tank is on order and lighting has become my priority.

Still considering doing the luminarc mini, but now also considering the current USA 36" long 2 x 250 HQI plus T5s fixture.

I am anxious to hear any experience out there on these lighting setups or something similar

cant go wrong with the lumenarc mini IMO... the all in ones have sub standard reflectors IME... the hanging shaker style canopy sounds great, and with the lumenarc not much light spills out... i have one over my open top 40B right now (havent had time to build the canopy with a new baby in the house) and cant even see the bulb when sitting on my couch...

good to hear both choices have good feedback. One of my concerns is putting T5s in the canopy with the luminarc so no light glares out onto the walls. I may have to do some more creative thinking

Back