Lighting Plan

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tdgates10

Designer Reef
Well, I guess I'm looking for some input on my idea here. As some know, I just got rid of my 180g tank and now I'm at a 55 for now. I plan on moving up to a 110 or 125 in the future so I'm trying to accommodate the plan for that.

So, I have my 72" 150w DE MH fixture left. I want to do T5 lighting, but I don't need nor have the room for a 6 bulb fixture over a 55g. So, my plan was to get a 48" 4x54W Tek 2 T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs for lighting over my 55g. When I upgrade tanks, I was going to pull out 2 of the 150 DE MH bulbs and retro them in with the T5 kit. So total lighting over a 125g would be 4x54W Tek 2 T5's with 2 - 150w DE MH for total wattage of 516 costing about $425 (including new MH bulbs). The 6 bulb T5 fixture is $470. What do you guys think?

I think the 3 T5 bulbs that would be close to the equivalent of a single 150W MH bulb, will have much better light penetration than the single 150W MH bulb. Wattage for Wattage, I honestly think you'll be much happier with 6 T5HO bulbs, than 2 150 MH bulbs. Hmmmm, on the 125, what are the dimensions? How would you configure the 4T5 and 2 MH bulbs?

The tank is 48x24x24. It's either a 125 or 110, can't remember. The other option I could do is just say screw it and get the 4 bulb retro and when the time comes, order another 2 bulb retro.

The way that i drew it out would be to have 48" long hood, 24" wide, with two T5HO on front and back with the two 150 MH bulbs evenly spaced throughout the middle. The MH would be 10" off of each side.

Not really worried about the tank right now, just the lighting. It's gonna be a while for that. Just trying to plan ahead to save a few mistakes. :) I knew it was somewhere in that ballpark.

Last edited:
With those tank dimensions, I think I'd go with a total of 8 T5 bulbs. 6 bulbs will cover 18" easily. With 24", you could easily put 2 extra bulbs over the tank. In fact, if you wanted, you could go with 10 bulbs. I'd stick with 8 and overdrive them with 2 ICECap 660 ballasts.
Then again, I'm totally a T5 guy...lol.
If you do decide you wanna go with MH, I honestly think you're going to need 250 watts.

So, what it looks like I'll do is run the 55 with four T5HO off 2 ballasts, then upgrade to 8 when the other tank arrives and run those four off one ballast, and then maybe upgrade to the higher output ballast.

Last edited:
I have been dreaming of a tank with those dimension Tyler, and what I was thinking was along the lines of 4bulb T5 retro and then 2 250w MH kits like Michael is suggesting. But that is totally from reading and not from experience.

I want to stay away from MH. The monthly cost isn't cheat at all, and they're so darn hot! That's why I'm toying around with T5's. The only way that I would run MH is if I used the ones that I already have. I'm not saying MH aren't the way to go, they just aren't for me. :)

Tyler, as for ballasts, I'd run the 4 bulbs, over the 55, for now, with an Icecap 660 and overdrive them. Then, in the future, do the same with another 660 and 4 more bulbs. All 8 bulbs will be overdriven, giving them more penetration. It will shorten the lifespan of the bulbs, but not by much at all.

So, the one ballast would still allow me to have two switches to control daylight and actinics?

That's the only reason I said I would do the first four with the two ballasts and then when I upgrade I will swap the ballasts out and get another 4 bulb kit.

Just curious but if you got the UVL bulbs that are t5-VHO would those work the best with icecap ballasts and not have a shorter life since they are made to run higher wattage?

Been kind of curious about doing a DIY t5 setup myself so i can't wait to see what you do :)

Shawn, they're T5HO, not VHO, if that matters. Ice cap ballasts are made in different wattages, such as 430 and 660. Each of these ballasts will run the corresponding number of wattage, in total length of bulbs. For instance, if you're running 48" bulbs, an Icecap 660 will fire 4 of them, and each will be overdriven. An Icecap 660 will fire 16 total feet of bulbs, so 4X48", 8X24", 3X48" and 2X24", and so on. An Icecap 430 will run up to "12 lamp feet," in any combination, up to 12 feet.

Overdriving T5HO bulbs does decrease life span of bulb, but not significantly.

Ya, think that's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna start making the 55 into mostly sps. When I out grow it, that's when I'll upgrade. So it should be a while. Thanks Michael for the input! Oh and before I forget to ask you, what bulb combo would you do? I love the look your tank has, but I know that's 6 bulb also.

With 4 bulbs, I'd probably do something like this, front to back:

1 10000K AquaSun
1 75/25 14000K AquaBlue
1 12000K Aquablue Special
1 Blue Plus

The back Blue Plus bulb, would be your single dusk and dawn bulb.

This would be a very similar look to my tank. I have 2 Blue Plus and 2 12000K Aquablue Special.

Once you upgrade, and add 4 more bulbs. Do the same bulbs, but reverse the order, front to back, putting your 2 10000K bulbs in the center and the 2 Blue Plus on the outside front and back.

Back