lighting proximity question - VHO and MH bulbs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

davidl

I have 2 250W MH bulbs and I have two VHO bulbs and an icecap 660 so I was going to install the VHO for actinic lighting. the tank is 55 gallon so the canopy isn't that large so the VHO bulbs would sit about 5-6 inches away from the MH bulbs. Could the heat from the MH bulbs break the VHO bulbs?

MH & VHO

Hi David I have the same configuration as you with 2 250W MH bulbs and two 48" VHO bulbs. Mine are in a custom pfo fixture which has a 3" cooling fan on one end I think you will be OK but could you get some sort of cooling Fan to disburse the heat? One other tip = Best be thinking of a chiller ;)
Best of luck...Jeff

I have 2 250W MH bulbs and I have two VHO bulbs and an icecap 660 so I was going to install the VHO for actinic lighting. the tank is 55 gallon so the canopy isn't that large so the VHO bulbs would sit about 5-6 inches away from the MH bulbs. Could the heat from the MH bulbs break the VHO bulbs?

Hi David I have the same configuration as you with 2 250W MH bulbs and two 48" VHO bulbs. Mine are in a custom pfo fixture which has a 3" cooling fan on one end I think you will be OK but could you get some sort of cooling Fan to disburse the heat? One other tip = Best be thinking of a chiller ;)
Best of luck...Jeff

Thanks for the advice. The canopy is very basic, not a lot of reflectors, but the back is completely open so I am hoping that will be enough to disperse the heat.

Hadn't thought about a chiller, hope I won't need one, I am out of space in the stand as it is! Uhg.. but I can already imagine that on a hot 80 degree day that tank will just boil...

-David Lafaurie

I have a couple VHO bulbs about 3" from 3x250 watt bulbs.
I also have 3 120mm Vantec Stealth 12v fans.

Back