Lighting Question...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dreamer253

Hello all, I've been an avid reader/visitor on this board for quite sometime now and have picked up some valuable information from it. But now I do have a question to ask and need opinions/suggestions. I'm starting another tank, a 50g breeder (36x18x18) and was thinking of the Current USA Outer Orbit for my lighting. It will be either 2x150w MH plus 4x39w actinics or 2x250w MH plus 4x39w actinics. I will be having mostly softies, lps, but maybe a few sps in the future.

My question is, will this be too much lighting for my coral? And, do you think I will be having a heat issue, because I would rather not invest in a chiller if possible. I would appreciate any advice and/or suggestions in this matter.

- sean

Welcome! and where in puyallup are you?
I would say that the 2- 150s would be good, however almost any tank with halides in a canopy will need a chiller..

Thanks for the quick replies. Yeah, I was kinda thinking 2x250w would be overkill for an 18" depth, but just wanted to get some opinions. I plan on having an open top with the light either suspended above, but most likely sitting on the tank itself via support legs/brackets.
I was considering T5 lights and reefgeek seems like they have good deals on them. I have a Sunpod on my other tank and have no complaints with it. Gotta love the shimmer that MH produces. :D Thanks again for the help. (I live up on the hill btw.)

-sean

I agree on the lighting as well. As for the heat, believe it or not, I ran the Current USA 150w HQI over my 24gal Aquapod and one single fan kept the temp down so I'm figuring with good ventilation and maybe a fan or two, a chiller may not be necessary. I had to use a chiller when I ran a 250w metal halide and a dual 250w metal halide, but not for the 150w. Just a thought...Welcome to the forum and good luck!:)

Back