Lighting Question??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
Would this light be good enough for a 135 gallon to grow good corals?? 3- G12 150w HID 700+ lamps and 4- 36" T5 39w HO 420/460 6-1w lunar leds

Last edited:
24-30" is quite a difference when it comes to tank depth. I'd agree that you'll need 250MH to penetrate that depth though. With 150MH, you'd really limit yourself to keeping soft corals and LPS on the bottom and most SPS would need to be pretty high. I'd suggest either a fixture with 250MH or T5HOs. The T5s still won't penetrate that kind of depth well enough to keep SPS at the bottom, but will be much better than 150MH. For that matter, 250MH won't penetrate deep enough to keep SPS on the bottom of a 30" deep tank.

Well I see others jumped in here and answered the question based on where I was leading with the question on the tank depth. From what I have learned about lighting depth is a critical component in choosing the wattage of lighting, and I would also recommend 250w minimum on the MH lighting.

You saw my tank the other day but I do not now if you actually noticed some of the details on my lighting and livestock arrangement. I use 3-250W MH with DIY lumenarc type reflectors. While my tank it almost 8 foot long and 31" deep and many would recommend 4-400w MH for that tank, I have compensated for my current set-up in how I have my rock and corals arranged.

My rock is basically in 3 islands centered under each of the 3 MH lights. Also my light demanding species (SPS and Clams) are higher up on the islands to get the most of the light. Where the shadows fall between the lights I do not have much, mostly open sand.

Also in my experience the reflectors make a huge difference in the amount of light penetration. I feel I get a lot more light penetration with the reflectors I made as opposed to the reflectors that came with the retro fit kit I purchased.

Thanks I switched to a 90 gallon 48"x18"x24" deep!
I think I found the right fixture (2) 250w HQI 10000k w/ external ballast and (4) 54w T-5 HO total 739w with dual electronic timers!for $849.99 befor shipping!!!!

Thanks I switched to a 90 gallon 48"x18"x24" deep!
I think I found the right fixture (2) 250w HQI 10000k w/ external ballast and (4) 54w T-5 HO total 739w with dual electronic timers!for $849.99 befor shipping!!!!

That should do it!:)

SWEET!
I'll get one right away!
Now I have an option of getting a Center overflow!!
w/4 hole in the bottom!
Should I ???
I like the look!!

Looks good to me! I like glass tanks because they don't scratch so easily.

Back