Lighting recommendation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Crack31

I just bought a 40 breeder at the $1 per gallon sale at Petco.
I currently have a 30 gallon Oceanic with 250 MH and 65 watt PC.
I am looking at the Nova Extreme T-5 156 watt fixture.
Will this be enough lighting for most SPS? Or should I look at the 6 bulb setups?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

40b is 18" deep....

I'm pretty sure that light is enough for alot of sps. As many say it, its not about which light fixture you get, its about how much par a certain area receives. If you think a coral isnt getting enough light, move it up. with that fixture, I'd say that you're fine.

I had sps under 64 watts of pc a while back, but then again, my tank was only 12" tall and all of the sps were near the top. They did fine.

I'd get the Nova extreme Pro, over just the extreme. We have had the extr. 4 bulb fixture on a 55- 19" deep(IIRR), and the pro 6 bulb on a 46- 22" deep. The pro has individual switches and fans. The other gets reeeally hot, and it wasn't as easy to use. We didn't have much luck with Sps under the 6 bulb, it would grow, but wasn't very colorful, most things turned brown. We had a gorgeous clam that grew like crazy under it.
We are upgrading our tank now, and are going to purchase the NEP 6 bulb fixture again. Trade out the bulbs in 6 months for some ATIs & geissemans. We are putting it on a 90, 25" deep. It'll probably be a kinda hard to grow much at the bottom, but don't wanna go halide.

Last edited:
I was using 4 T12's, and last week swaped them out for IceCaps 6 bulb T5 retro fit with Geisseman bulbs. Since the T5's my RBTA's bubbled their tips for the first time. The only thing I've got to complain about is that I've lost some color with all of my LPS, and monti cap's. I think I will come back once the tank adjusts to the light. I plan to pick up a acro tomorrow, I'll let you know how it does if the post is still up.

Back