Lighting T5's

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blk822822

It's only money, RIGHT?
I was wondering , I have a 60" long tank and found a T5 60" fixture with 6 bulbs. I'm not really up on T5's so I'm wondering if thats enought light for corals . I have zoas to SPS. It's a 480 watt fixture.

You gotta link to the lights your looking at? You may wanna search the sellers forums first. Remember when it comes to lights you really don't wanna skimp. Some pretty good deals can be found on the forums :)

Bill, T5 only works best because of very good reflectors. The one on your link, i dont see any... or did i missed it?

Bill, T5 only works best because of very good reflectors. The one on your link, i dont see any... or did i missed it?

I think its one large one a few inches away from the bulbs. I would wait for a better 6 bulb t5 setup if you can, preferably one with individual reflectors. Ati bulbs are by far the best in the biz also imo.

Personally I wouldn't waste your money. It's a very cheaply made unit :( But for a Fish Only tank it may be ok.
We all know how your feeling about getting your tank set up. But trust what we are telling you. Be patient, save up and shop wiser. I'm sure you can find something better for a little extra $$. Something you won't regret buying.

Personally I wouldn't waste your money. It's a very cheaply made unit :( But for a Fish Only tank it may be ok.
We all know how your feeling about getting your tank set up. But trust what we are telling you. Be patient, save up and shop wiser. I'm sure you can find something better for a little extra $$. Something you won't regret buying.

+1 with NanaReefer With T-5 light the reflectors are as important as the bulbs you buy. You will really want something with indiviual reflectors and built well. If you keep looking deals do pop up. I got my 60" 8-bulb tek light new in the box for $300 and love it :) My fish needed little sunglasses at first :p

Edit

Just saw this is a used unit for that price without the reflectors :( You can do much better

Last edited:
Most of the cheaper equipment on ebay is just that, cheap. Why spend your money now when you will have to upgrade anyway. That's just money on top of more money and can be better spent on other cool stuff that you will want.

+1 on saving ur money now to get plenty of light later. Instead of buying now and upgrading as I did. ( face palm ) good luck :)

It's also used, according to the listing. That's a lot of money for something that is used. I would pass it up, IMO.

Back