Lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mamie

:eek:
I just purchased new bulbs and 1 of them I picked the wrong kind. Instead of 10,000K daylight I got 10,000K ICE WHITE COMPACT FLUORESCENT Both are96 watt.

I would like to know if my corals will be ok with this type of bulb?
I have mushrooms,finger leathers, tube anomene,open brain,and a few fish.

Thanks,
Linda

mamie,
welcome to RF!

You should be just fine since its a 10K bulb....do you know who the manufacturer is? Where did you buy the bulb?
Nick

I believe your lamps are fine Linda. 10k K is a good temp... and bulbs with a heavy/leaning measure of daylight("white") light are argubaly better (for zooxanthellate species).

No worries :)

Do start to read up on "PAR" re: lamp/light quality when you have time to make future choices/changes in lamps.

so what about satelite's dual lighting things, like dual daylights that are supposed to be half 10k half 6.7k or so, and then dual actinics are like 420nm and 460nm? just curious cause i just replaced those lights, though they were over a year old with straight 10k's and actinic 03's off ebay

I wish i could comment on them for you, but I have no direct experience.

Yet I do not need to have used them to say that for better or worse, the weight of blue spectra in typical hobby lamps is done at the expense of useful PAR. If you won't mind slower growth in your corals, this may be an appeal presuming the aesthetic color suits you too.

Your light color change sounds like it may well have been for the better (to more daylight)

Back