Lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jlcable

So I have been reading on this subject for awhile now. Im going to set up my 46 gallon bow front tank as a reef tank. So I was looking at buying a 24 inch metal halide 150 watt with 2 actinic bulbs and moon lights. My question is since i have a bow front there is a support bar that runs down the middle where the metal halide is. The plastic support bar is about an inch large, But does anyone think that this will hinder the lighting in the tank?

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!

Yes, I believe it will hinder your single MH bulb. Also, the heat from the MH bulb will eventually cause issues with the plastic brace. I dealt with this same issue, when I used to have a 46 bowfront. I considered replacing the brace, with clear acrylic, but decided against it. I ended up avoiding MH lighting, and got rid of the tank...lol. Some people have suggested cutting out the brace, saying it's not really needed. I would NOT advise this. In my research, I did find people who successfully did this. I also found people who experienced tank failure, after doing this.

Thanks for the advice. idk what im going to do yet. do you have any advice on alternative lighting for the tank? I would like to do hard corals and keep my 45.

you could do it with all T5HO lights, or even with LED lights. You don't need metal halides. Metal halides and LED's will give you the nice shimmer effect, which I like, but I've read posts from people here who have been doing corals with all T5 lights for a long time

i don't think a 2x 150W MH setup would be too much lighting, but would obviously generate more heat and evap.

LED is a great option for lighting but typically requires a little more DIY effort and higher upfront cost (in exchange for long term bulb & energy savings). I think I saw <3 years for breakeven compared w/ MH or PC

Back