Lightning Maroon Clownfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Recalibrate

I just got a newsletter from Blue Zoo Aquatics showing off this awesome and rare fish. They are selling them on eBay and are going for a crazy amount. Check them out.

Anyone here going to attempt getting one?

blue_zoo_aquatics | eBay

I saw a picture of one of them in a Coral email. Not really feeling it. I think the Picasso or Snowflake clown look so much better.

Yeah, not real excited about them either. But for Maroon clowns they are cool. OH WOW, just saw the price.....not that cool!

I saw them a year ago.......I think they are just awesome, but will wait for the price to come down, which it will as a few of the breeders start getting hatches

I liked the pictures of the originals. But not so much on the babies.

I think when we start seeing adults we'll be more impressed, babies need to mature into their full pattern and that can take a minute depending on the type of clown

Those ones on ebay aren't worth it, they aren't anything like the originals I saw a while ago. The originals really looked like they had lightning on them and were being sold to certain breeders for 5,000

I think your mistaken. Only two are known to exist, and one died. This one was paired with a normal maroon. This is a very rare fish. They are the first batch of viable fry from the original.

I think your mistaken. Only two are known to exist, and one died. This one was paired with a normal maroon. This is a very rare fish. They are the first batch of viable fry from the original.

They have 5 of these fish that going to be sold, according to the description in the auction.

For those of you who have followed the now world famous Lightning Maroon Project, you will know these first 5 fish being released are the accumulation of almost 3 years of hard work by breeder Matt Pedersen. For those discovering this amazing animal for the first time, please click HERE to familiarize yourself with the extraordinary journey that has taken place to bring these fish to market.
These first 5 will be auctioned off in individual eBay listings. Each listing will be staggered by about 12 hours to give everybody the best chance to obtain one of these remarkable fish. Two of these fish display the striking lightning pattern similar to their mother while three of these fish look similar to a normal patterned maroon clownfish except for distinctive jagged striping and the odd white dot in different places. These three siblings are the only PNG bloodline maroon clownfish on the market and the best bet for continued breeding and development of the lightning pattern. Matt has more information about this on his website, http://www.lightning-maroon-clownfish.com so be sure to check it out.

Yes, these five where babies from the only surviving LMC, and only two have ever been caught.

Which is what I said here

To my knowledge the was no "originals" being sold to breeders for 5k a piece. Just one specimen and the offspring of said specimen are what is available on eBay.

Since the op linked us to the auction for 5 of the offspring, I only have been reffering to it.

Since the op linked us to the auction for 5 of the offspring, I only have been reffering to it.

Lots more info on the project's website. I'll be brief as it's late and I have baby fish to feed - 30 total offspring slated for release...actual may vary as final plans are set; this first 5 was the test run of our release plan...where we go from here will depend on the outcome. But here's the 30 F1s that are likely going to make it out of my basement and into other's hands (I see it was shared earlier..but to re-emphasize...I'm certainly NOT going to SIT on 30 F1 offspring here in Duluth!) An Inventory of F1 PNG Lightning and White Stripe Maroon Clownfish - The Lightning Project

I should point out that I've also given away some to create genetic repositories off site prior to the sales...that was one of my absolute first priorities.

Happy to answer questions if I can...it's been a LONG TIME COMING to getting these out the door ( I was ready in December 2012). I think this thread has been getting the facts pretty much correct..nice to see, as that's not always the case!

Back