Lights again

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marlinmero

Marlin
Im down to three choices.

1. choice one is a fixture with two 250 watt MH with 4 t-5's. for a total of 716 watts plus 6 led moonlights. $329
2x External 250W Electronic HQI Metal Halide Ballast with Power Switch
Internal T5 High Output Ballasts
5x Power Cord (Ideal for Separate Timer Setup)
3x Power Switch on Fixture (1 - T5 HO, 1 - LEDs, 1 - Cooling Fan)
Non-Corrosive Powder Coated Aluminum Housing
Heavy Duty Cooling Fan
Tempered Glass and Clear Acrylic Lens Covers
Highly Polished Reflector
Mounting Legs Included

2. same fixture but with 4 65watt power compacts also $395
2x External 250W Electronic HQI Metal Halide Ballast with Power Switch
Internal Compact Fluorescent Ballasts
5x Power Cord (Ideal for Separate Timer Setup)
3x Power Switch on Fixture (1 - CF, 1 - LEDs, 1 - Cooling Fan)
Heavy Duty Cooling Fan
Tempered Glass and Clear Acrylic Lens Covers
Mounting Legs Included

3. or use the 260watt power compact i got and purchase a fixture that just has two 250watt MH and run both? just the MH fixture is $200

External 250W Electronic HQI Metal Halide Ballast with Power Switch
4x Power Cord (Ideal for Separate Timer Setup)
2x Power Switch on Fixture (1 - LED, 1 - Cooling Fan)
Heavy Duty Cooling Fan
Tempered Glass Covers
Mounting Legs Included

I vote for option 1 - assuming you are mounting this above your tank and you will be able to see it, it will

a) be more visually appealing since everything is in an all in 1 unit
b) allow you the benefits of the extra PAR of the t5, especially since bulb replacement costs are about the same as a PC

i have had a power compact from them for almost 4 years. and my mom has had one for 3. and about 4 months ago she purchased the same one im thinking about gettin and it works great. but where would i start to look for research like that?

Cheap lighting usually isn't the best way to go, unfortunately. With lighting, especially MH lighting, going cheap can even be hazardous. A lot of the cheaper setups have inferior ballasts that under drive the bulbs. A lot of them are NOT UL or CA listed.

Lighting, because of it's potential to cause serious harm, death and destruction, is something you shouldn't skimp on. Find yourself a good deal on a used system. Or find a quality system new. There are good prices on good systems, but they'll be a bit more than the systems you're talking about.

Before deciding to go with Aquatrader, please read through these experiences.
http://www.wamas.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t21426.html
https://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-lighting/aquatraders-light-39400.html
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/47987-aquatrader-too-good-true.html
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/just-starting-out-sw-beginners/11242-brand-check.html

Alright, that should be enough...lol. Check into Sunlight Supply's Tek5 T5HO units. They've come down in price in the past couple of years and are an excellent fixture. T5HO is a very good option and will allow you to grow just about anything you want, IF you have individual reflectors or reflectors that wrap around each bulb and IF you have enough bulbs to adequately cover the tank. I have a 6 bulb unit on my 75 and am growing anything I want, including some of the highest light demanding SPS and Clams.

Guess im not looking for dirt cheap like aquatraders but not gold prices like marindepot or fostersmiths. the sunlight supply lights are reasonable. and i got the dimension on em and it looks like i could fit an 8 lamp on my tank. good idea? ive just been under the impression Mh lights were best cause thats what you see most commonly

Last edited:
You would be fine with 6. I don't think 8 will fit a standard 75g. And think about bulb cost as well. You'll have to get 6x $20 + shipping. I ran a 75g for quite a while with a aquatinics tx5. T5's are my choice over mh's because imo have better color choices and the blue color from t5's has a better par over blue color of mh's.

Not to mention that T5s are much cheaper to operate and run much cooler. As Luke said, 6 bulbs will be just fine. There are some 8 bulb fixtures that would fit over your 75, but they don't have individual reflectors (that's how they fit 8 bulbs). The Aquatinic or Tek5, 6 bulb unit would be just fine and you could grow anything you want. I do.

ok then. i called sunlight supply on got dimensions the 6 bulb is 16 inches and the 8 is like 20 inches and my tank is 22 inches. but if 6 will work might as well save myself the 40 dollars in bulbs and the power to run the 2 extra. does sunlight supply sell good quality bulbs?

Back