Lights and Corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MINIATUS

Heres the problem, I know that if you are converting corals from a lower light to a more intense light, you need to do slowly over a period of a few days to a few week.
My delemia is the corals(SPS) have been kept under 4 400 watt lamps in which he ran for 6 hours a day. This tank was 36 inchs deep. Now My tank is a 90 gal tank or 24 inchs deep with 2-110 watt actinics and 2-250 10k Metal halides.What would be the best way to acclimitize them to a lower light. Will the lower light change there color.What other problems would I be facing.when I add them to a new system. I think I've covered all of it.

MINIATUS :confused:

Hi Min.

It will also help :) if you let us know what type of 400 watt lamps he ran...and under what ballast and reflector.

A 250 10k lamp can easily match a 400 watt 20k style color lamp.

It is awesome that you care about your animals :)

- Elmo

Elmo18 said:
Hi Min.

It will also help :) if you let us know what type of 400 watt lamps he ran...and under what ballast and reflector.

A 250 10k lamp can easily match a 400 watt 20k style color lamp.

It is awesome that you care about your animals :)

- Elmo

OK They where 10k XM 400 watt lamps and they where run off of IC electronics. He used the basic 4 sided alumium reflector.
My lamps are 10k XM 250 watts run off of IC electronics.
The other thing that might be of help is that all these corals are aquaculture
10 of them are Bali Cultured. Does this help.
I dont call them animals but MY KIDS.

It might not be that big of a difference. 400W lamps are pretty strong down to about 36", where 250W lights have similar strength at around 24". Considering the bulbs are the same brand and color temp you should be okay. One possible exception is if the corals were in shallow water under those 400W lamps. If that's the case they'll have to adjust to your lower light levels.

Clayton

I would have to think it’s gonna be a trial and error type thing, Min.
No two tanks are gonna be the same regardless if the lighting were the same or not.
It’s probably going to boil down to the placement of where you end up putting these corals as to how they will react. I don’t know if you do or don’t use activated carbon, but it would probably be helpful at keeping the water clarity at its best while your new additions settle in.

Back