Lights left on24/7

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

chrisdaphish

what happens ?
im assuming that there hasto be SOMETHING badabout it.. but wut? haha what are the negative effects? is there anything positive about it? thanks for the help

welll i think my algae growth is due to a bad bulb.. not sure.. i have 2x175hallides over a 20 long.. but i think the algae growth is becuase of an old bulb that needs to be replaced... but what good comes out of running lights constantly the whole 24 hours of a day .. and hwat bad comes out of it?

IMO...stress for fish...stress for corals....a dark period is necessary....although as always IMO....

Best,
Ilham

Fish need sleep!!!:lol: Yeah, I think we should as much as possible strive for being as close to natural as we can with certain things in our main display. Refugiums are another story. Some critters are nocturnal and don't come out to feed until night and like I said, some fish need sleep. My 2 cents:)

ya, fish would probably create more waste since they'll be active 24 hours, maybe even shorten their life span given their bodies aren't designed to do that, heat would be immense i think especially with that much light over a 20 gallon, just my thoughts though

Along with keeping fish and corals for stable. You get alot of algae die off each night after the lights go out. This usually gets skimmed out while your sleeping. Also the pods and worms go to work doing their job after dark.

Don

Dark time is just as important as the light time. When corals and things close and shrink at night, the fluid in them is ejected in an excretion like process that is crucial to the help of the animals.

Also, the hidden janitors of your reef only come out when the lights are out. If you dont belive it, sneak up to your tank at night with a red light and take a peak. Its at least equally if not more interesteing then when the lights are on.

haha okay... lets say u dont have any fish.. and jsut all corals... would it be any better? and ur night time cleaners.. what if u start seeing them during the day anyways=) why would no dark period stress corals?

joshinjosh said:
haha okay... lets say u dont have any fish.. and jsut all corals... would it be any better? and ur night time cleaners.. what if u start seeing them during the day anyways=) why would no dark period stress corals?

the question you have to ask yourself here is does it happen in nature????

Just turn the lights off at night. Save some money on the electricity bills. Used that money to buy more corals, ect....

krish75 said:
Shhh...Charlie! I'm bb you know:lol:

Krish, I am sure somewhere in the ocean there is a piece of glass from something caused by us humans that now has corals living on it so you are ok.:lol:

Tim

okay.. so basically the concensus is that leaving ur lights on 24/7 will really not have any harmful effects? the only thing against it is that it does not mimic nature.. but then alot of things do not mimic nature..... i think the main thing u guys brought up would fish need night time (which i agree) but i dont have any fish in this tank... and as for saving electricity and money or wutever.. isnt it really not THAT much? to run hallides?i really dont think energy is costing as much as peopel make it out to be...im pretty sure my arguement is wrong..but id like to be proved wrong.. haha i mean.. leaving ur lightson 24/7.. more sun light!moregrowth! and more viewing time for yourself;)

Krish, I am sure somewhere in the ocean there is a piece of glass from something caused by us humans that now has corals living on it so you are ok.

Tim

Thanks Tim! I knew it hd to be there somewhere!(LOL)

moortim said:
Just out of curiosity, what fish/corals do you have in your tank?

Tim

no fish, as forcorals i just hvae some monti caps, monti danea, one millepora, frogspawn, ricordia a deresa clam some micros, and a ton of zoos:)

Back