Lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Saltyfish

Banned
Ok I know I know this is saltwater but I am sure some of you keep fresh water also, so I have a 300 gallon tank (30" tall) and when I set it up I used CP that were to be good. I never saw the real growth I wanted so I am looking to change it all out.

I am overhauling the inside to make it a planted tank. Since most of my stuff did not grow like I wanted I am going to correct the issues now. The only thing I got left is to pick out the lights.

What is the good to best lights out there for fresh water with Plants to make them grow, while being able to watch the tank for hours on end?

Thanks for your comments.

Compact Fluorescents or T5HO will be your best bets. I've also seen a lot of nice FW planted tanks with VHO lighting.

You mentioned not seeing the growth you wanted before. Are you referring to plant growth? If so, that could have been due to other things besides lighting. Were you injecting cO2? What type of substrate did you have? What types of plants? Was your pH and other water parameters appropriate for the types of plants you had? How were you feeding your plants?

Were you injecting cO2? - No

What type of substrate did you have? Brown Gravel but changing over to eco-complete type this week. I put this in my sump with no lights and my small plants came back to life.

What types of plants?
Various Swords, madagascars, vals, etc

Was your pH and other water parameters appropriate for the types of plants you had? Yes

How were you feeding your plants? Excel as instructed by Barbie, which did help but I feel I do not have the right light and /or the bulbs need to be replaced anyways. So I figured I would blow some more money and get T-5 I just want to make sure I have a proper spectrum of lights so I get growth besides algae this time.

my buddy has a nice planted tank using pc bulbs..he is injecting co2 using diy 2 liter bottle.Not sure about ph.hes not feeding anything but light and co2 injection

I would do some T5 HO bulbs with good reflectors. For a good planted tank, you need reef tank lighting levels, just a different spectrum of light. For the power bill, it is very hard to beat T5's with good reflectors.

If you have good lights, you will have to do CO2 to get best growth, or you could end up with more algae growth. Plus trace elements are very important in the proper levels. Normally you figure the dosing amounts out by trial and error though.

Kim

Kim

Salty, I've been keeping fw planted tanks for about 2 years. First off, most swords are slow growers as is. The only thing you have listed there that will grow pretty quick are the vals. They should be shooting out runners quite often as well.

You don't need nearly as much light as what Kim was saying. On a 300g tank, 1wpg would be sufficient even at 30". I know guys running 180g tanks with 270 watts of light growing high light plants. Judging by the plants you have listed, you have no high light plants. The larger the tank, the less light you need. If you put say 400-500 watts of light over that, you'd be going through ferts and co2 like crazy.

In planted tanks, everything has to be in the correct balance or you're going to have a big tank of algae. If you're going to boost up your lighting, you're most likely going to have to add co2 and if you're adding co2, you're going to have to add ferts. Having the eco-complete will help because it holds the ferts in suspension. Meaning the substrate soaks up the ferts until which time the plants will use it.

For a tank your size and if you don't want to have to add co2/ferts, stick with maybe 200 watts of t5 lighting. You don't have to go crazy with individual reflectors. That will be a medium light tank and although you won't have a heck of a lot of growth, it also will be pretty low maintenance. Dosing with the excel is going to get expensive on a tank that size although it helps keep the algae under control.

The bulb spectrum most people go with is just a normal 6.5k bulb. Depending on how many bulbs are in your fixture, maybe throw in a 10k just to give a little more pop to the fish. That's just a personal preference for many and doesn't actually do much for the plants.

Your ph is tied into your kh just as it is in a saltwater tank. A kh of 3 with a ph of around 6.6-6.8 is usually a safe bet for most freshwater fish. That is unless you're keeping cichlids. The higher your kh, the higher your ph should be. Knowing both of those will also help you figure out what your co2 in your tank is at. The more co2 you inject, the lower your ph will drop.

If you do plan on using fertilizers, make sure you go with dry ferts. It's MUCH cheaper then buying the premixed stuff. A good place to get them is from www.aquariumfertilizer.com Here is a good calculator to help you figure out how much dry ferts you need to use. http://atlas.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_aquacalc.htm

Just so you can see I'm not bs'ing you, here's some of my past tanks. Out of all of these, the only thing that I currently have now is a little 5.5g red cherry shrimp tank. I'll put the info of what I used.

29g biocube pea puffer tank
72w pc
Pressurized co2
dry ferts mixed with ro/di. Ferts used kno3, kh2po4, k2so4, iron chelate 10% and csm+b.
play sand from home depot/black flourite substrate
HPIM0841.jpg

10g pea puffer tank over several months
65w pc
DIY co2
dry ferts mixed with ro/di and seachem root tabs
small pebble substrate
HPIM0727.jpg

HPIM0722.jpg

HPIM0743.jpg

little overgrown lol
HPIM0786.jpg

75g
324w t5 lighting
DIY co2
dry ferts mixed with ro/di
play sand/black flourite substrate
HPIM0578.jpg

My very first planted tank 20g
65w pc
DIY co2
seachem line of ferts
play sand substrate
IMG_0814.jpg

If you have anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
Back