Live Rock Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reefreak

I'm A Reefoholic!!!
Hello everyone,
I have a question regarding 90lbs of 3 year old live rock that I was transferring from one tank to another. I have this in a large rubber maid can in the garage with a heater and a couple power heads, I lost power for about 24 hours and the temperature dropped to the low 50s with no circulation. It is up and running again but I'm concerned about the rock having some major die off. I was planning on setting up the tank tomorrow. Has anyone ever had this happen, and if so what effect did it have on the rock?

i don't think it will have major dieoff....you can still set up the tank, just watch it for about a week and see what happens

I hope you are right Ron....If I set up the tank and it smells like rotten eggs in the house I will be the one residing in the garage!

it shouldn't stink if it was in water ..it was only one day...i wouldn't really expect alot of dieoff....it could have alot, but i don't think it will stink up your house..it might smell when you are transferring it..mine always smells a bit when i transfer it to another tank....hopefully, you won't have to sleep in the garage!! :)

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most of the organisms can handle colder temperatures for short periods of time. Just remember that everything that's still alive on your rock lived through the long, cold plane ride from the tropics; and without much water...

Clayton

How long as it out of the tank?
Did the old tank have a dsb?
Sounds like hydrogen sulfide gas being released, which can come from the biodegrading of food in the sand bed which got trapped in the pours of the rock

Back