Live rock question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bosco83

There is someone local selling live rock for $2.50 a pound but when I e-mailed her she said there is algae growing on it just for my information. Is this a bad thing? I am trying to set up my first saltwater aquarium and I am trying to save money where I can but I don't want to save if its going to be a problem.

Thanks,
Brian

There is someone local selling live rock for $2.50 a pound but when I e-mailed her she said there is algae growing on it just for my information. Is this a bad thing? I am trying to set up my first saltwater aquarium and I am trying to save money where I can but I don't want to save if its going to be a problem.

Thanks,
Brian

I bought some live rock with algae for $2 per pound myself and did not have any issues. The algae was coarse, green turf like stuff and not too bad. My Emerald Crabs are making quick work of removing it all. They are very efficient I find and removing any hair type algae.

Last edited:
Cool so it's probably ok. I am setting up a 46 gallon bow front is it ok to put in about 50-60lbs of live rock and just have a hang on the back filter for a few days? Also I wasn't quite ready to set it up is it ok to fill the tank with tap water and add salt with just live rock in it?

Brian

I bought some live rock with algae for $2 per pound myself and did not have any issues. The algae was coarse, green turf like stuff and not too bad. My Emerald Crabs are making quick work of removing it all. They are very efficient I find and removing any hair type algae.

Cool so it's probably ok. I am setting up a 46 gallon bow front is it ok to put in about 50-60lbs of live rock and just have a hang on the back filter for a few days? Also I wasn't quite ready to set it up is it ok to fill the tank with tap water and add salt with just live rock in it?

Brian

Just a word of caution, i am what would be considered a liberal reefer, I don't worry to much about the details and figure that the system can take care of itself as long as you keep the parameters in check. Other, more conservative reefers may suggest that you bleach, boil, scrub, acid wash, cook and cure the rock first and would think that by introducing this algae in your new system that you are setting yourself up for problems.

Also, I added my algae covered live rock to an already established system. It may cause other issues in a brand new system. Plus I have 2 emerald crabs that have a huge appetite for this stuff and help hugely to keep my algae in check.

+1 on the cooking. you can never rush a saltwater tank. patience is a virtue especially when your first setting up. you'll be happy in the long run.

I would also avoid using tap water. I recommend picking up a good ro/di unit. It will save you a lot of trouble down the road.
-chris

Yes, I agree on the tap water, even being a liberal reefer and all. Plus I treat live rock the same as I would treat a fish. Keep it under water all the time and only put it in your tank if the temperature, salinitiy etc. is correct. You do not want to put you rock in fresh water and then add the salt. I am not sure if I read you thread wrong, but this is what it sounded like you were suggesting. Get the salinity and temperature correct first, then add rock, buy your RO if you don't have your own unit (I can get it at a local supermarket here for $0.25/gallon), if availalbe I will use water from another tank's water change to get a new system started. I even threw in a dirty filter from an established tank into my new tank to help get the good bacteria started.

Back