Live rock VS Base rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thrawn

Hey guys, I was just curious, what ratio of live rock to base rock should I do for a new 90 gallon tank? I was looking at getting 50 pounds of base rock off of Reefcleaners to start out with. Just curious if I should seed that with LR and if so, how much.

i think it is preference, base rock usually isn't as cool looking and thats why its used to my knowledge....

IMO go all dead rock. It will seed itself before you know it and you dont have to deal with pests and unwanted hitchhikers from live rock. You can't even tell all our rock was all white just 3 short months ago.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

IMO go all dead rock. It will seed itself before you know it and you dont have to deal with pests and unwanted hitchhikers from live rock. You can't even tell all our rock was all white just 3 short months ago.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I am with eww I would use all dry rock. It will take a little longer to cycle, But you wont lose any sleep at nite wondering what you just put in your tank that you will soon need to get rid of

I love the saying "I'm with ewww" LOL!

My next system (and my last one LOL) was all base rock. My last one I added some "Temporary" Live Rock from my other tank to seed but the next one I wont use any live rock and just boost the bacteria from a "Bottle". I posted about it here a couple of weeks ago. I just gotta find my post LOL

Thanks for the link Big Al. Read through the whole thread, had a lot of good information in it.

Back