Live rock wall

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BDN

Hi I plan to add more rock to my 10gal tank. I plan covering the hole back of the tank.. My ? are I have a koralia 1 and a maxi jet 400 over 500gph and if I build this wall I won’t have enough room for both of them can I get along with one or should I put flow in back of the wall? I'm building a refuge in the back of the tank 4" deep 12" long and 14" I can hide allot of stuff in that.

From the way I understand it you need to turn over your water 10 to 30 times per hour.

Since you have a 10 gallon tank anything rated from 100 to 300 GPH will work in a 10 gallon tank. Depending on what you have in your tank and the shape of it I would say 100 GPH would be enough, so I dont believe you need both.

The Koralia 1 should suit you just fine, you could even go down to a Koralia Nano

Model Flow Rate Watts Dimensions
Koralia Nano 240 gph 3.5 2" x 3"
Koralia 1 400 gph 3.5 2-1/4" x 5"
Koralia 2 600 gph 9 2-7/8" x 5-7/8"
Koralia 3 850 gph 10 2-7/8" x 5-7/8"
Koralia 4 1,200 gph 12 3-1/4" x 6-1/4"

The more the better. Do you need both, no. Corals like flow and lots of it so that is why I say the more, the better.

I have one zoo med powersweep 160GPH in a 10 gallon and its like a tornado in there. That one korolia 1 should be just great IMO if placed well.

Thanks. would I need flow behind the rocks I'm worried about dead spots .

I wouldn’t worry about the flow behind the rock, but if you are, then when you get your sump up and running you could build a small system of tubing running down behind the rock with small 1/4 or 1/3 inside diameter tubing pumping water down the back behind the rock. Basically a small closed loop type system would work.

and u could run that spray bar from ur return when u get ur sump going :) just trying to help with some ideas thanks though ac7av

Back