live rock worms!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wakinekona

Hey guys, I really appreciate all the feedback and advice I've been receiving. Thanks!!

I discovered some creepy crawly things on my live rocks!
They are pinkish/salmon colored and they have creamy/white spikes covering them. They crawl in and out of the holes from my rocks... they look gross!
Are they safe for my fishes and anemone?

What are they? Is that normal or healthy? Do I get rid of them? If so, then how do I get rid of them? Do they bite or sting?:confused:

thanks again...

sounds like bristle worms to me. Great scavengers, won't hurt fish, or the anemone (if it is healthy). These are opportunistic feeders. They typically eat dead or dying animals. Some people remove the larger worms, others just leave them. They can get very large (3'-4' is the biggest I have seen pics of, but most are no bigger than 6-10" in length).

Prob a bristle worm. Some types can do damage. A pic would help. Yes they will sting you. Use tweezers etc if you have to remove them.

There's many different species of "bristleworms," only a couple species are dangerous in a reef tank. They're pretty rare to find in home aquariums. The other species are very common and great for your tank!! If you get more of a population that you want or find them growing larger than you want, it's very easy to trap and remove some. Don't touch them!!! Use a mesh bag with a prawn in it and a string attached. Drop it in your tank at night and pull it out the next morning. It'll have quite a few in it. Great way to control your population but keep in mind that they're great for your tank.

thanks guys.. after looking at some clips of the worms...i really do think they are bristle worms...

I cant get a good picture of them because they are still quite small... but still large enough to see with the naked eye...

thanks..

Back