live rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

125g

When does live rock become a huge part of the filtration? Can you ever have enough live rock and whats the recommended for gallon I have heard 1 pound per gallon but how much does help to have say 2 pounds per gallon

It really depends on the maturity and quality of the life rock. A very porous rock will have more surface area for nitrifying bacteria. A lot of rock that has been, say, sitting in a tank for three years and has a lot of life growing on it would be able to cycle more waste at a quicker rate than some barren pieces with diatom growth. You'll want about 1.5lb per gallon, or so I've read (and followed). It's also important to encourage flow between the rock so more water is "filtered" through.

+1 on 1-2lbs per gallon to start and as the system matures you can start to thin out as you'll need room for corals and fish to grow. As Jhustin above stated aged LR has all kinds of sponges & macro life to filter out pollutants. Patience will get you there and while you still can make sure all your base pieces are well secured.

Todd

The key here is the surface area of your rock. If you are using tonga branch rock for example, 1 pound has about the same surface area as a 3 pound chuck of Figi. IMO the most important part is ensuring you have massive amounts of water flowing across your rock. (spray bars and Closed loops make this really easy.)

If you're able to run a really big sump, you have the option of putting even more rock in your sump to filter even more.

I agree that is depends on the size of your substrate or gravel to really determine how much you need. On average it's about 1-2lbs per gallon. Most pet stores or online sites can help suggest how much you need depending on what you are buying.

It really depends on the maturity and quality of the life rock. A very porous rock will have more surface area for nitrifying bacteria. A lot of rock that has been, say, sitting in a tank for three years and has a lot of life growing on it would be able to cycle more waste at a quicker rate than some barren pieces with diatom growth. You'll want about 1.5lb per gallon, or so I've read (and followed). It's also important to encourage flow between the rock so more water is "filtered" through.

+ 1 more

But I have to say it again. Flow between the rock is important. If you pile them up so tight that you get no flow threw the rock, it will not be as beneficial.

1 to 2 pounds per gallon is a old rule people used to follow. With today's equipment and the advancements we have made in the last 30+ years that rule does not needed to be followed as much.

Again like others have said it is not going to hurt having a lot of rock, after all I never never heard of anyone having too much rock.

If you want heavy rock work I would go with some fiji rock if you can find it. If you want to go with less rock and more room for swimming or growth I would go with a lace rock or a key largo rock.

The key largo rock at marcorocks.com is great rock, if you want more surface area and less rock.

I personally like the Hawaiian waterfall rock. All different shapes and sizes, seems to be pretty pours, and its almost like they lock together, very stable but very heavy. Wish I could have finished off the whole tank but thought some diversity would be more beneficial so I have about 200lb of reef bones to finish it off.

Back