Live Rocks turning black in established aquarium.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

noteworthy

Hey!

Well I think its my krylon paint but I'm not 100 percent. The pvc in my tank that was not painted is getting black dots and pixels all over it plus my rock has turned rather black, especially the tonga? Anyone have krylon paint do this? It was dried for about 12 hours and seemed to be set and not rubbing off. In other words... dry!

Did a few tests and I think my test kit is bad.. will pick a new one up ASAP.

Ammonia in tank first time.. over 8, then second time around 8. Readings of fresh salt after RODI was around 7. I know my RODI unit isn't pumping out that much ammonia. The filters were replaced about 6 months ago. Nothing has died except a crab. I added 30 lbs of live sand in my new fuge and 20 lbs on the front because it was very low. Hooked up two filter socks of carbon to help clear up the dust storm. No fish fatalities. All swimming around and fine.

I see small bits of black floating on the sand bed and on the unpainted pvc in the tank.

Also recently added new lights, four 6500, four 5100 (will change soon), and 2 VHO Actinic White have been there about half a year.

I am making 40 gallons of new saltwater and will be doing a change because atleast it can't hurt. Hopefully my mind will be put at ease with the new test kit.

I've read of some people having krylon flake off but it being inert and not hurting animals.

I've never used Krylon, so I'm not sure about the black :confused:.

What inhabitants do you have in the tank? Let us know if you get a new test kit, or if you take your water to be tested by either a store or another local hobbyist.

What was painted?
I don't think painting anything PVC would the paint adhere to it, I would read that label throughly & see what surfaces it will adhere to. Take out a piece of whatever was painted & see if it is still painted or is it flaking off.
Hope I'm totally wrong about this & not trying to scare you but it may be the worst case, having to clean all the pumps, flush your LR's in a tub suck out whatever you can & hope that is the only affects it will have.

I've painted PVC with black primer for intakes and returns (and seen it done a few times) with no ill effects. However, Paint does not stick to unsanded PVC very well. IMO cured paint will not disolve dieing your LR black, it may however flake off your pipes leaving paint flecks on your other piping and LR. Run some carbon, do some water changes and get your new test kits. I highly, extremely doubt that the paint is the cause of your ammonia.

BTW, Did you use primer or gloss finish paint?

I used the basic krylon satin finish for plastics.. fusion. It was in the tank about a week before anything. Put in new lights and the next day black bits on rocks.. etc.

I'll do a 50 gallon change today. All the inhibitants seem fine. They exibit no heavy breathing that I can see, plus they areall eating and swimming normally. Must be bad test kit?!? the kit is about 3 1/2 years old. I'll take a water sample to the store today too. My LFS thats an hour away is awesome and should see whats going on.

The pvc was unsanded. The black doesn't come off the rocks easiy with a brush. Will keep you guys updated. Will be going to LFS this afternoon.

I think the original question was about the black stuff in the tank, his water parms was a different problem.

Didn't see the paint chip anywhere... maybe dust from activated carbon?

Well I did my water tests at LFS.
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
40 Nitrate. Will be doing more water changes.. odd because last time I checked it was at 15. Guess my test kit is buggy.

Back