Livestock list - suggestions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Cajun Reefer

I have a 90 gallon FOWLR that has been setup for a little over a year. My tank currently consists of the following:
  • 1- Yellow tang
  • 2- Percula clownfish
  • 1- Lawnmower blenny
  • 2- Queen conches
  • 10- Astrea snails
  • 10- Nassarius snails
  • 1- Lettuce Nudibranch

Over the next few months, I would like to slowly add the following fishes:
  • 5- Green chromis
  • 2- Neon goby (cleaner)
  • 1- Blue hippo tang
  • 1- Skunk cleaner shrimp
  • 2- Firefish goby

Any suggestions or concerns about the above fishes would be greatly appreciated. Next year I plan on adding corals (undecided on type) and possibly a clam. I have also thought about adding a sand sifting starfish or blue linckia starfish to help stir the sand and to prevent dead spots. Any suggestions on some type of sand sifting goby / shrimp that will get along with the above fishes?

Thank you for your time and assistance!

I personally would minus the blue tang, and put a coral beauty or other dwarf angel in.
It could be a problem with corals though.

Last edited:
The established Yellow Tang will not easily accept any new addition, let along another Tang. But I have good news there. . .The 90 gallon display tank is too small for Tangs. I'd skip the Hippo and return the Yellow.

Conchs each require about 4-6 square feet of open substrate to sustain themselves. Depending upon the open space, one might be too much for that display.

The Lettuce Nudibranch (not really a Nudibranch anyway) is a bit of shill. They are difficult to keep alive. They get into uptake tubes, powerheads, or overflows and when they die, they send poison throughout the system.

Unless the Neon Gobies are a mated pair, they will not likely get along. One of my first aquarium attempts was to put three in a display tank. (Blue is my favorite color). Suddenly, there were two. Suddenly, there was one. Now that fish is 10 years old, beating several records on the books for longevity. You may get lucky and get two 'friendly' ones. :)

Sand Sifting Starfish are not a good choice (I think). I think it is still a bit unsure what they eat. Most seem to live only a year or two at most in captivity. I'd leave it in the sea, unless I'm wrong about this one. :confused:

A sand sifting fish is likely to upset the snails. But the best that does its job, IMHO is the Orangespot Diamond Goby (Valencienna strigata). But, watch the Goby additions, some will not tolerate the others and for that you may have to do some research or others here may have an opinion. :)

Good luck!

Back