livestock options

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bighitrider45

clown fish
i have a 20 gallon long with 2 clowns a bi colored blenny and a peppermint shrimp, is there any other fish i can add, i was thinking of either a 6 line wrasse or an algea blenny.

A 20 gallon long is suitable for a couple of very small fish. The 'nano fishes' are the best to choose from, which include some Gobies, for example.

The two Anemonefishes (without knowing the exact species) in my opinion belong in about a 40+ gallon aquarium. With the Blenny and Shrimp, I'd target a 50+ gallon. Some Anemonefishes might require a larger aquarium. Some may require a smaller. But most Anemonefishes will grow to about 3" and the female up to 6".

If someone suggested you add a shark to your aquarium, you'd probably think them silly. So you probably have some sort of sense of what is and isn't a reasonable stock. Whatever yardstick you are using may have been prompted by mis-information or advice of sales people, or just by the smallness of what is in the aquarium at this time. In my opinion, the aquarium is going to be overstocked when those fish grow, or if they are grown now, it is overstocked now.

Figure, with the shrimp, one fish that will grow to no larger than 3" is suitable for that sized aquarium, assuming you will be doing the appropriate maintenance. A reasonably stocked aquarium will be pay off by healthy marine life that is thriving rather than surviving.

Perhaps others here have another opinion. Good luck! :)

Back