Livestock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mmkeeper

Would it be ok to have 2 purple fire fish in a 46 gallon bowed. Would they get along and maybe school together or would they fight or jump?

I can't say about the jumping part...they have that rep but my 2 firefish are not interested in the water surface at all.

But I think that they will get along fine as they're peaceful fish and the size of the tank is fine.

yeah, maybe that's the key. Keeping them with other non-aggressive tankmates. And making sure they have more than one hidey holes.

My tank is 58 gal and I have two in my tank and a blue spotted jawfish, flame angel, two clowns and a royal gramma. They all seem to get along very well. Even the jawfish will come out of his burrow and fight for his share of the food.

When I ordered the firefish I tried to ordered a mated pair. The guy told me that unless they are mated they will fight. I am not sure how true that is. I do see the larger firefish sometime nip at the other one. But nothing serious at all.

I think you can keep more than 1 together.... I had seen tanks had 2 or 3 in them in some reefer's house.

However, You really have to close off all the possible gap at the top of the tank. I had a hawk in my 72 gal tank and he keeps chasing / bullying smaller fish once a while... and whenver the hawk charges at my dottyback or swims very fast, my firefish will panic and try to jump out of the tank. I had a 1 inch gap at the back my tank due to the hangon protein skimmer and one day my firefish did went through the gap...

So make sure you don't have too many "action" fish in the tank and try to close off all the gaps at the top of the tank.

Back