Longhorn cow box fish?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gazbo

I was wondering if anyone had any luck or tried having a longhorn cow fish in a reef system I have read they will eat feather duster and may pick on snails but I know every fish has its own personality. It would be cool if I could add one and was thinking if I got one young enough I could train him to eat what I feed him rather that whats in the tank. I have a 150gl tank with 2 black clowns 1 orange clown firegoby, yellow watchman goby, yellow wrasse, blue hippo tang, yellow tang, lawnmower blenny, 2 green chromisis,scooter blenny, green mandrain, cleaner wrasse,flame angel, red fire shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp few peppermint shrimp and pistol shrimp and a few pom pom crabs. any suggestion or expirences is apprietiated.

you can try. but beware of him dying it can kill the thank. and they can be difficult. thats what ive herd and read.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

I would be very cautious of keeping that cowfish with tangs. Tangs are very aggresive eaters. The cowfish will either starve to death or feel threatened when trying to eat and like mercenary says, kill your whole tank.

Actually I just read that they are compatable with tangs and wrasses. But they also say not to house them with aggresive eaters. IDK.

I have always wanted one but never wanted to take a chance putting something on menu thats in my tank. But recently I came across a lady that had a 300gl now the tank being twice the size might have helped but she had one from about the size a thumb and at almost a foot long never had an issue bothering any tank mates or critters. she had similar fish. It was just a thought, wanted to see if anyone has one and what there expierence was or is. I don't think I will try it now but if I would of thought about it when everthing was first added so the fish can grow up together I think the other fish may pick on it if I tried it now.

I'm not 100% sure if its true but I have heard they have poisonous skin and they can release the posin in to the water if threatened. Like I said I'm not 100% on that, just what I have heard.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure if its true but I have heard they have poisonous skin and they can release the posin in to the water if threatened. Like I said I'm not 100% on that, just what I have heard.

I have heard that as well but never read it on any of profiles and care in my research of them.

Last edited:
Yea I don't think I will risk it. They lady that had one died recently when her 300gl bottom seal broke out on her. I sold her an 125 to try to save her corals and fish that survived until her tank can be replaced. Just found out she bought another one yesterday couldn't wait so I will see how it does for her

Back