Looking for 150g stocking ideas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

revance

It is about time to start stocking my 150g and I realized that I haven't really given the fish much thought. The tank's emphasis will be on the corals (SPS & LPS) so I don't need a lot of fish but I would like enough so it doesn't look empty.

The only 2 fish I really want are:

Yellow Tang (required for spouse approval)
Powder Blue Tang (my personal favorite)

Which of those should I add first to prevent fighting? Should I put them in together?

Some other ideas:

small school of Anthias (not sure what kind)
pair of clowns (probably percs or ocellaris)
Mandarin
flame angel (if it can behave with the corals)

I am really open to ideas. I am also interested in opinions on what order things should be added. I would like to add some less expensive fish first to ensure everything is going smoothly. There is currently one poor little green-blue chromis that was rescued from a friends tank.

Thanks for any input!

I would put the Tangs in together. If you put one or the other they will mark their territory and it will be very hard to put a second one in. Especially the Yellow tang. They can get nasty to new inhabitants....

Agreed on the tangs. The yellow added first would cause aggression problems more so than the blue. You will also need to take that into consideration while QT'ing. Often they will be fine but be prepared with 2 tank dividers if they fight.

The Anthias would be OK once the tank matures some but I would nix the Chromis as an "also" addition. They're a fine fish but you won't get the look your after if you mix two schools in a tank like that. I think the Anthias would set of the tank nicely. If that's not do-able, I'd look into flasher/carpenter wrasse species.

The mandarin might not be the best idea with foragers in the tank. That something you might want to consider as a final addition. The clowns would be fine as well. Really doesn't matter which species of Anemonefish you choose as long as it's a mated pair and only one species.

I used to have a powder blue that littlerly killed everything that i put in the tank, so i had to get rid of him. Lets see, he killed a YT, long nose butterfly, copperbanded butter, and a flasher wrasse.:eek: That is when i gave up hope and traded him in. I think that mine was just weird though.;)

that was before i knew how to take pictures...
View attachment 17789

Hi Revance Go choices and selection on your fish. I by no means am a fish expert But If you get a chance PM Ed Hahn he had a Mated Pair Of flame angels that were pretty hard on some of his SPS. :evil: I too have been having trouble with My Coral Beauty-Centropyge bispinosa Has developed a taste for my Milliporas :evil: and I do regret adding a pygmy angel to my tank.. On the bright side it has Ignored all of my LPS.
I am lucky with 2 tanks If I see a coral that my fish hurt I transfer it to the other, just my 2 cents good luck with your choices...Jeff

It is about time to start stocking my 150g and I realized that I haven't really given the fish much thought. The tank's emphasis will be on the corals (SPS & LPS) so I don't need a lot of fish but I would like enough so it doesn't look empty.

The only 2 fish I really want are:

Yellow Tang (required for spouse approval)
Powder Blue Tang (my personal favorite)

Which of those should I add first to prevent fighting? Should I put them in together?

Some other ideas:

small school of Anthias (not sure what kind)
pair of clowns (probably percs or ocellaris)
Mandarin

I am really open to ideas. I am also interested in opinions on what order things should be added. I would like to add some less expensive fish first to ensure everything is going smoothly. There is currently one poor little green-blue chromis that was rescued from a friends tank.

Thanks for any input!

Thanks everyone for the input. I would have responded earlier, but I guess I don't have my account set to email me when I get responses (need to fix that).

I don't plan on having a school of chromis... I just mentioned there was one in the tank that I saved from a friends tank crash. Not that it really matters, they don't really bother anything. Thanks for the suggestion on the wrasses. I will most likely go with a small school of lyretail anthias.

The tank is actually already pretty mature. I had the rock curing in a rubbermaid stock tank for over 6 months, then moved it into the 150 where it spent another 6 months but I had to replace the tank, so it is JUST now ready for livestock (even though the rock has been thoroughly cured).

Please keep the ideas coming... what do others with 150g tanks have in theirs?

just stumbled across this thread...although it's 6 weeks later...here's what we have in ours: Lawnmower Blenny, Royal Gramma, True Perc Clown, Copperband Butterfly, Green Mandarin, Shrimp Goby, Foxface Rabbit, Bluejaw Trigger, Vlamingi Tang.

As far as corals...Xenia, Candycane, Toadstool Leather, Frogspawn, Hammer, Torch.

So far (knocking on wood) the only problem we've had is with the Foxface getting a little grumpy with the Tang. (Tang and Trigger were added yesterday) hoping that will subside in a day or 2.:D

I also have a 150 gal set-up, and so far I have a coral beauty, foxface rabbit, and powder blue tang. My foxface is so shy it relies on the pbt to venture beyond the reef. They all get along, no aggression, flashing or nipping at corals. I wouldn't go beyond one or two large fish in a tank this size thought, because these guys get huge:eek: and they really are use to much more room to swim around in.

Just my two cents :)

-David

Back