looking for chiton species suggestions while I move along in my own personal search

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OldManOfTheSea

Hope all are having a great Thanksgiving day with their families. Before I took off after a whole day yesterday with my five year old twins grandson and granddaughter I ran a quick check for selecting a number of possible chitons that I might have in my reef tanks as a part of a cleaning crew. I only began this look into possibly having this species and I know that they grow as small as a few mm to lord knows how large the largest. Im only interested if totally reef safe, for the smaller ones as far as I know should feed on algae. In this clean up crew, im looking into sea cucumbers and starfishes as well, besides the sand sifter that is. Also in the starting of the reef tank, I would only start with snails and hermits. I wouldn't start to get any of these until the tanks are well aged and that includes the sea urchin as well. So with the chitons, any who are using these should add great input to my search and also any other suggestions that might be a good idea to look into for a greater cleaning crew for the reef tanks.

Buddy

*moved to the General Forum

I wanted to add one thing about clean-up crews. I would steer away from packaged clean up crews (i.e. pre-determined amounts of each type). IMO, they usually contain way too many hermits.

As far as chitons go, I actually have never paid attention to see if you can buy them anywhere. I've only ever heard of them being hitchhikers. Check around with different etailers.

Just a note about Chitons.
I have one that is about the size of a standard computer mouse. It was a hitchhiker about 3 years ago and has been totally reef safe with the exception of actually rasping grooves in an acrylic tank while trying to eat the coraline algae. I would only keep them in a glass tank if they have any size to them.

I have not seen them fore sale. They are almost impossible to remove from whatever object they decide to hunker down on "even glass" this may be the reason you don't see them for sale very often.

I have one that is about the size of a standard computer mouse.n.

Really?? thats awesome. got a pic by chance?? Id like to see him.

I have this cool lavendar one that was well over an inch last time I saw him and i thought he was big. I see him about once every 3-6 months but always like it when he does show himself.

Back